This role is categorized as hybrid. This means the successful candidate is expected to report to Austin, TX, Atlanta, GA, or Warren, MI three times per week, at minimum.
About this Role
The Principal Tech Lead will design and build enterprise applications following industry best practices and Agile methodologies, such as SAFe. You will also lead and mentor developer teams, estimate and plan future initiatives, write and run automated tests, implement CI/CD pipelines, and perform project administration. You will collaborate with other development teams and/or support functions, prioritize work, support performance evaluation and remove roadblocks.
As a Principal Tech Lead, you will be responsible for:
- Designing, developing, testing, and deploying high-quality software products that meet the needs of our clients and users.
- Leading and mentoring a team of software engineers, providing technical guidance, code reviews, feedback, and coaching.
- Collaborating with product managers, designers, architects, and other stakeholders to define the product vision, roadmap, and requirements.
- Researching and evaluating new technologies, frameworks, and best practices to improve the performance, scalability, and reliability of our software systems.
- Troubleshooting and resolving complex technical issues and ensuring the quality and security of our software products.
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent work experience
- 15+ years of software development experience, with at least 5 years in a senior or lead role
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills, with a focus on delivering high-quality solutions that meet business needs and expectations
- Demonstrated track record of driving results and accountability in complex and dynamic projects
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders, customers, and peers across different levels and functions
- Passion for innovation, learning new technologies and methodologies and continuous improvement
- Proficient in agile and scaled agile framework methodologies, such as Scrum, Kanban, SAFe, etc.
- Experience with tools for Agile work management such as JIRA, Microsoft TFS and ADO are highly desirable
- Skilled in automated testing, such as unit testing, integration testing, functional testing, etc., and familiar with testing frameworks and tools
- Strong knowledge of software engineering principles, patterns, and practices, such as SOLID, DRY, etc.
- Experience with Spring Boot, Quarkus and other modern development frameworks
- Experience with Web Application Servers: WebLogic, Tomcat
- Experience with RESTful APIs, self-describing
- Experience implementing domain driven design using behavior driven development, integrating with web services (JSON + SOAP), website performance tuning
- Experience in mentoring, coaching and developing software engineers
- Fluent in multiple coding languages, such as Java (required), Python, C#, other., and able to learn new ones quickly
- Familiar with various databases, such as Oracle, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, etc., and their design and optimization techniques
- Expert in cloud technologies, AWS, Azure, GCP, etc., and their associated services and tools, including management of containerized applications through Kubernetes
- Knowledge of cloud architecture patterns and best practices, such as microservices, serverless, and containerization.
- Familiarity with cloud security concepts and standards, such as encryption, authentication, and authorization.
- Ability to use DevOps tools and methodologies, such as CI/CD, automation, testing, and monitoring.
- Proven experience in driving application modernization or re-platforming projects
What Will Give You A Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications)
- Experience or familiarity with Supply Chain business domain
- Experience with AI Coding tools such as GitHub CoPilot
- Experience in Business Intelligence tools like Power BI and integration with custom applications for reporting capabilities
- Experience in different application integration patterns including integration with mainframe platform
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools and frameworks, such as Terraform and BICEP
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of unlawful discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications for each role and apply for any positions that match their skills and capabilities. Applicants in the recruitment process may be required, where applicable, to successfully complete a role-related assessment(s) and/or a pre-employment screening prior to beginning employment. To learn more, visit How we Hire
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (U.S.)
General Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Accommodations (U.S. and Canada)
General Motors offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.