This role is categorized as hybrid. This means the successful candidate is expected to report to Austin, TX, Atlanta, GA, or Warren, MI three times per week, at minimum.
The Senior Mainframe Software Developer will take part of a major mainframe modernization at GM. The job provides an exciting opportunity to work in a fast faced environment utilizing a modern development toolkit with the introduction of Dev Ops tools and practices for the GM Mainframe. The ideal candidate will have experience in mainframe, web, and integration development and be capable of designing multi-application cross-functional solutions. This individual will lead or co-lead our mainframe modernization initiative which consists of fortifying legacy applications while developing plans to migrate key business functionality to the cloud or on-premises virtual infrastructure.
What You'll Do
In this role, your are responsible for developing or enhancing software applications using sound, repeatable, systematic, and quantifiable approach to application development on a foundation of industry best practices and in accordance with GM's software development/project methodology (Agile mostly). The Software Developer will contribute to the definition of technical features and stories and will work hands-on writing code based on requirements and system specifications (features and user stories). Development activities will include updating existing software and/or developing new programs to address a specific need or solve a particular business or technical problem.
- Estimation, Analysis, Design, Design reviews, Coding, Code reviews, unit testing in small increments of work
- Troubleshooting (root cause analysis) and debugging applications in different mainframe programming languages
- Software testing and quality assurance
- Document software code and ensure that technical documentation i.e. configuration guides, install guides, system designs, others meet requirements
- Develop and Integrate software with existing systems
- Maintain standards compliance
- Perform Level 3 / on-call support for GPSC mainframe applications currently running in Production
- Estimate, and design small increments of work for other developers
- Mentor less experienced team members and apprentices
- Report status of assigned software development and/or maintenance tasks consistently following the specified software development methodology
- Promote improvements in lean software engineering practices such as test-driven development, continuous integration, and continuous delivery
- Communicate effectively
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- BS in computer science, engineering, math or technical discipline or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience
- 7+ years of experience as a mainframe developer
- Languages: PL/1 (Required), Cobol (important), Java (important), and JCL (Required)
- IMS DC/TM for transactional processing
- ISPF Panels, CLIST, Skeletons, REXX
- Database: IMS & DB2 (required), Oracle & PostgreSQL (important)
- Scheduling tools: IWS
- Source Code and deployment Management: Azure DevOps, IBM DBB, GitHub
- Development IDE: IBM IDz / RDz or other Eclipse based
- Experience with modern mainframe toolsets to help with discovery, profiling, and migration automation
- CI/CD experience in defining and managing the build, deployment, and release pipelines
What Will Give You A Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications)
- 3+ years hands-on experience using JAVA, REST, microservices, and containers (Pivotal Cloud Foundry or Docker/Kubernetes) and integrating mainframe and midrange applications
- Solid understanding of midrange platforms
- Agile, SCRUM, KANBAN methodologies
- zDevOps: IBM Developer for Z Systems, ADO, GIT, IBM DBB
- IBM tools: ITOM, RACF, Connect-Direct, IBM Rational Functional Tester, IBM Optim, ADDI
- Test Automation
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of unlawful discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications for each role and apply for any positions that match their skills and capabilities. Applicants in the recruitment process may be required, where applicable, to successfully complete a role-related assessment(s) and/or a pre-employment screening prior to beginning employment. To learn more, visit How we Hire
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (U.S.)
General Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Accommodations (U.S. and Canada)
General Motors offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.