This role is categorized as hybrid. This means the successful candidate is expected to report to Austin, TX, or Warren, MI three times per week, at minimum.
GM Global Purchasing and Supply Chain IT is looking for a dynamic, experienced Software Development manager to lead our team of application developers who support and develop supply chain management applications in the Supply Operations and Order Fulfillment domains. The ideal candidate must have a strong background in team building, technology, system integration, data architecture, web and mainframe application development, and agile software development methodologies. Leading highly technical teams through the software development lifecycle (SDLC) utilizing industry standard/best practice for software development approaches is of paramount importance in the role.
What you'll do:
Proven experience and responsibilities include:
- Managing an IT software application development team in the development and modernization of applications, managing system integrations, and overseeing new application development projects.
- Recruiting/mentoring/coaching/managing individual team members
- Goal setting and performance appraisals
- Aligning team objectives with organization’s mission/vision/values
- Leading by example, hands-on approach.
- Working closely with Business and PMO to apply a disciplined approach to develop requirements, project plans, budgets, schedules, and risk profiles for information technology projects.
- Applying the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) development methodology to software/application development projects. Lead the effort to introduce and refine agile approaches within the organization.
- Leading change – Encourage team members to embrace a lean agile mindset
- Having ability to handle issue resolution and remove roadblocks by navigating complex corporate environments and processes
- Having experience creating strategic direction for groups of applications, including Performance tuning, usability assessment/improvement, automation technologies
- Understanding security risks for applications and code remediation techniques
- Coaching teams and individuals to help them be more effective and productive
- Being detail oriented, a strong communicator (verbal and written) with great interpersonal skills, and ability to motivate the team to deliver multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Having a strong technology background with the ability to execute a strategic vision, coupled with the ability to explore and recommend new technology and development approaches.
- Providing advice, training and technical support for various projects within their domain
- Building a diverse and effective team by identifying/selecting the best talent.
- Providing career guidance and mentoring of both software developers as well as less experienced leads. Assuring that team adheres to all GM Resource Requirements such as Timekeeping, Project Management and Training
- Establishing strong, positive relationships with internal business stakeholders, and demonstrating ability to map business processes to technology solutions.
- Managing the culture within their team, holding themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors. Models GM behaviors and creates a winning culture.
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- 12 years IT experience developing enterprise IT systems
- 4+ years hands-on system development as a development lead, architect, or lead developer role working with multi-disciplinary teams
- Must have broad software project delivery experience in leading teams developing applications using a variety of tools, languages, frameworks, and technologies.
- Experience with SAFe / Agile methodology and tools for Agile work management such as JIRA, Microsoft TFS and ADO are highly desirable
- Self-starter and quick learner who understands and can adapt to existing software application and computing infrastructures.
- Strong background in software/application development lifecycle, including budget, planning, requirements management, and test procedures, including heavy focus on automation through the development, testing, and deployment cycles.
- Technical leadership skills (At least one Focus area below):
- Experience leading projects involving cloud technologies, such as AWS, Azure, or GCP, and their associated services and tools, also including management of containerized applications through Kubernetes
- Experience leading CI/CD pipeline implementation and management using tools such as TFS, ADO, GitHub Actions, and Jenkins
- Experience leading Mainframe Application development teams, utilizing mainframe platform and its respective toolkits, and management of integrations between complex IT landscapes involving midrange technologies and mainframe platform.
- Exhibiting and proving to possess strong Business acumen
- Experience in a Supply Chain Management Business domain (plus).
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of unlawful discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications for each role and apply for any positions that match their skills and capabilities. Applicants in the recruitment process may be required, where applicable, to successfully complete a role-related assessment(s) and/or a pre-employment screening prior to beginning employment. To learn more, visit How we Hire
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (U.S.)
General Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Accommodations (U.S. and Canada)
General Motors offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.