Hybrid: This role is categorized as hybrid. This means the successful candidate is expected to report to Milford or Pontiac three times per week, at minimum
The Mechatronics Software Platform organization is a high-performing, diverse team that creates the embedded infrastructure software that is portable and scalable to various applications to align with GM’s strategy in Software Defined Vehicle (SDV). In-house HWIO team enables the enterprise to deliver solid software solution by providing a foundation of the infrastructure software by providing the lowest level of software that is adaptable and robust. As part of the In-House HWIO Engineering group, you will have the opportunity to work with the state-of-the-art systems and designs using both AUTOSAR MCAL configuration tool and hand coding in C and assembly.
As a staff systems engineer, you will be responsible for leading and coaching the team in developing the most efficient and optimal software solutions for one of the areas listed below, across all the microcontroller platforms by aligning strategies and designs.
• Core services – RTOS, System Services, Memory, Exception Handler, Power moding, Timing
• I/O – various I/O abstractions and services, instrumentation, complex device drivers, communication, ASIC Interface, manufacturing test software
• Safety – Crypto services, system safety, processor core integrity, diagnostics
We are looking for creative people with strong technical expertise & leadership in automotive embedded software to join a highly capable team focused on leading-edge technology solution development.
What You’ll do:
- Lead the entire software development cycle of HWIO pertaining to the responsible features
- Responsible for guiding the team to realize GM’s Zero/Zero/Zero vision and implement the SDV strategy. Identify opportunities for improvement and strive for best in software industry
- Provide technical expertise in forward planning activities and generate plans to meet open ended and advanced project goals. Provide technical leadership in advanced technology research & development
- Provide technical expertise for root cause analysis and problem resolution efforts. Mentor team members responsible for solving problems and drive timely resolution of problems
- Provide technical guidance, training, and mentoring to team members. Evaluate technical capability of team members and suggest opportunities for development.
- Develop and maintain learning path training materials to expedite productivity and engagement of the new team members.
- Ensure critical and independent software reviews are executed with quality. Perform review of major software features
- Ensure thorough and robust software test plans are executed
- Develop, document, and enforce best practices
- Develop and maintain standard work documents such as coding standards, design document template, code analysis template, etc.
- Participate in component technical requirements development to ensure software requirements are clear, concise and comprehensive.
- Keep up to date on the state of art in embedded controls, microcontroller architectures, and peripherals. Stay current with industry innovations and best practices
- Provide technical expertise to external groups, such as application software, calibration, hardware, requirements, software integration teams.
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- B.S. in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent degree
- 8+ years of experience in engineering
- 4+ years of experience in automotive low level software development
- Embedded software development, debugging and testing experience
- Expertise in development & testing of low level embedded software such as: ARM / Renesas core architectures & related peripherals, memory related peripherals (RAM, Cache, Flash), Real-time Operating System, timer modules, communication modules and I/Os
- Expertise in in ANSI C programming / assembly
- Proficiency with software design for ARM cores and Renesas RH850 family
- Proficiency with embedded compiler, linker, debugging tools, and software such as Vector CANalyzer, Lauterbach, ETAS INCA, oscilloscopes, and other general lab equipment
- Experience in embedded systems electronics
- Ability to work under a tight, demanding schedule and a highly ambiguous environment
- Ability to independently create and manage project plans
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and effectively with others
- High level of analytical problem solving skills
What Will Give You A Competitive Edge (Preferred Skills)
- M.S. in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent degree
- 15+ years of experience in automotive embedded software development, debugging and testing
- Experience working in Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- DFSS Black Belt
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of unlawful discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications for each role and apply for any positions that match their skills and capabilities. Applicants in the recruitment process may be required, where applicable, to successfully complete a role-related assessment(s) and/or a pre-employment screening prior to beginning employment. To learn more, visit How we Hire
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (U.S.)
General Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Accommodations (U.S. and Canada)
General Motors offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.