This role is categorized as hybrid. This means the successful candidate is expected to report to Warren, Michigan three times per week, at minimum.
The High Voltage Battery Electrical Systems Analysis (CAE) Engineer, in the Global Electrification and Battery Systems (GEBS) department, will be responsible to develop and execute electrical system simulation for electrical and electronics components like batteries, fuses, cables, connectors, contactors, BDU, busbars, current collector plate, CMU and other battery electronics. The senior engineer will be also responsible to develop new analysis capabilities in the space of High and Low Voltage electrical systems to support Vision 2025 goals of hardware reduction.
The analysis engineer will interpret and present results to decision makers at key program gates for GM Global Vehicle Development Program. The analysis engineer will be required to interact closely with team members and work cross functionally to deliver standard work, root cause analysis, compare analytical results to tests, develop new analysis capabilities, and identify analytical gaps.
What You'll Do
- Develop high voltage battery and electrical systems models using tools like Saber, Spice, Matlab and Simulink
- Perform electrical circuit analysis to deliver design solutions which are robust and reliable, utilizing optimization and statistical methods when appropriate
- Work collaboratively with Battery System Integration Engineers, Electrical Architects, Advanced Engineers, Program teams and Component Hardware Design teams to ensure system requirements are met, design concepts are evaluated, and development and validation plans are successful
- Independently lead new analysis capability development projects to achieve Vision 2025 hardware reduction goals
- Document new standard procedures, train and mentor other team members
- Collaborate with other CAE teams to integrate higher fidelity models like battery cell electrochemistry and thermal/CFD into electrical system simulations
- Ensure on time delivery of high-quality results
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ yrs of experience with analysis, design and/or testing of high and low voltage electrical components and sub-systems with electrified vehicles (BEV, EREV, PHEV, HEV, BAS)
- Experience in Synopsys Saber or comparable Electrical Circuit Analysis tools like Spice, Simplorer, Matlab and Simulink
- Excellent understanding and application of engineering theory and principles of operation for electrical mechanisms
- Good understanding of electrical systems, controls and component development / validation
- Strong debugging and troubleshooting skills
What Will Give You A Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications)
- MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering
- Experience with development and usage of CAE/CAD tools
- Black belt in performing DFSS analysis
- Knowledge of Lithium-ion battery cell modeling and simulation Modeling (or other cell chemistries: Lead Acid, etc.)
- Experience in applying Artificial Intelligence (AI)/Machine Learning (ML) methods
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of unlawful discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications for each role and apply for any positions that match their skills and capabilities. Applicants in the recruitment process may be required, where applicable, to successfully complete a role-related assessment(s) and/or a pre-employment screening prior to beginning employment. To learn more, visit How we Hire
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (U.S.)
General Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Accommodations (U.S. and Canada)
General Motors offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.