This position is classified as a Hybrid position, meaning the successful candidate will work at our Markham office three (3) days per week.
The successful candidate will be part of the Vehicle Mechatronic Embedded Controls (VMEC) engineering department at General Motors Canada. There are two key areas of responsibility:
1. Scrum Lead of an Agile team in the Propulsion Thermal Management ART
2. Contribute embedded controls, diagnostics and software technical expertise to enable the scrum team to deliver value
What you will do as a Scrum Lead:
- Build an environment in which your team can execute, collaborate and innovate
- Facilitate Agile/SAFe ceremonies such as release planning, sprint planning, daily scrums, sprint reviews and retrospectives
- Maintain a sprint release plan, release trajectory, and release burn-down, based on capacity and velocity predictions
- Enforce team practices and rules, help resolve impediments, identify and manage risks, facilitate efficiency, and increase the probability of success in each sprint
- Champion accountability within and outside the team
- Represent your team at coach-sync, coordinating dependencies across teams
- Provide visibility of team status and issues to management
- Promote continuous team improvement, measure the team, and help the team and individuals measure themselves
- Mentor and/or coach team members in Agile practices, processes, and tools
What technical expertise you will provide:
- Technical guidance to the team as it relates to algorithm and software design, development, implementation, testing and verification of real-time embedded controls systems using a variety of tools in a variety of environments (model, handcode, virtual, HIL, SIL, vehicle-level)
- Thermal Management control algorithm designs and diagnostic strategy
- Understanding functional requirements and implementing appropriate diagnostic and control solutions
- Using hand code & model-based software development approaches adhering to modeling/software/autocoding best practices
- Leadership, collaboration and innovation in the controls and software space to expand your own expertise and to execute GM’s 0/0/0 vision
- Enable cross-functional interactions with other teams (calibration, vehicle integration, other domains, etc)
Your Skills & Abilities (Qualifications):
Bachelors Degree in Mechatronics, Software, Electrical or Computer Engineering
5+ years of embedded software, automotive product development or engineering project work in a team environment
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills to work effectively in a geographically dispersed team
Knowledge of controls theory and the software development process
Experience working in an agile environment
Experience with Change Management and software configuration management processes and tools (e.g. JIRA, Git Ecosystem)
Must be legally allowed to work in Canada and able to travel to the US
Must have a valid Canadian driver’s license
Experience reading and debugging source code in C/C++
Experience with MATLAB Simulink/Stateflow/Rhapsody or similar CAE tools
Experience with testing methods and techniques (test-driven development and behavior-driven development (TDD and BDD))
Experience with dSPACE/Control Desk or similar HIL tools
Experience with ETAS/INCA, Intrepid/Vehicle Spy or similar DAQ tools
- GM’s Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs.
- GM’s comprehensive compensation and benefits plan is carefully designed and thoroughly benchmarked against the companies that we compete for talent in the local market .
The goal of the General Motors of Canada total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan currently includes the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and supplemental benefits for pregnancy, parental and adoption leave.
- Healthcare, dental and vision benefits including health care spending account and wellness incentive.
- Life insurance plans to cover you and your family.
- Company and matching contributions to a Defined Contribution Pension plan to help you save for retirement.
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values.
- Tuition Assistance and Employee Assistance Program.
- GM Vehicle Purchase Plan for you, your family and friends.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of unlawful discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications for each role and apply for any positions that match their skills and capabilities. Applicants in the recruitment process may be required, where applicable, to successfully complete a role-related assessment(s) and/or a pre-employment screening prior to beginning employment. To learn more, visit How we Hire
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (U.S.)
General Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Accommodations (U.S. and Canada)
General Motors offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.