This position is required to be onsite full time. This position will require 25-50% travel to support our manufacturing facilities.
GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.
As a Material Optimization Planning Engineer, you will be at the forefront of redefining material flow processes within General Motors. Your responsibilities include:
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to identify and evaluate material optimization opportunities.
- Collaborate with plants to understand their unique needs and challenges related to material flow.
- Select appropriate technologies and solutions to enhance material flow efficiency.
- Support the initial execution steps, including procurement, IT setup, layout planning and others.
- Collaborate with execution teams for a smooth handover of projects.
- Manage and support material optimization projects, ensuring alignment with plant needs and overall corporate objectives.
- Conduct site visits to manufacturing facilities to assess material flow processes and identify improvement opportunities.
- Conduct feasibility studies and cost-benefit analyses for proposed manufacturing innovation and automation projects.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders, including product engineering, purchasing R&D, manufacturing operations, and IT to ensure seamless integration of new technologies and processes.
- Provide technical support and assistance to manufacturing and maintenance teams during the implementation phase.
- Facilitate knowledge transfer and training sessions for plant personnel in collaboration with the different vendors.
- Work directly with plant partners and safety team to achieve development of material optimization initiatives from drawing board/concept to reality/shop floor.
- Work directly with containerization, logistics and other GPSC partner to resolve critical issues and put key enablers in place for the successful execution of material optimization initiatives.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of implemented solutions, identifying areas for further improvement and optimization.
- This position will require 25-50% travel to support our manufacturing facilities.
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications):
- Bachelor's degree in engineering (ME, Supply Chain, Industrial) or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of equivalent experience in manufacturing and supply chain.
- Knowledge of basic manufacturing, supply chain, and assembly processes.
- Experience with AutoCAD, Factory CAD, or equivalent, and MS-Office tools.
- Previous experience in project leadership roles, coordinating resources, providing updates, and tracking timelines.
What Will Give You A Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications):
- Exposure to automation execution with a deep understanding of material flow automation principles.
- High-level communication skills, both oral and written, with the ability to present findings to all levels of the organization.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of unlawful discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications for each role and apply for any positions that match their skills and capabilities. Applicants in the recruitment process may be required, where applicable, to successfully complete a role-related assessment(s) and/or a pre-employment screening prior to beginning employment. To learn more, visit How we Hire
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (U.S.)
General Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Accommodations (U.S. and Canada)
General Motors offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.