- Research and develop novel and cutting-edge battery materials (specifically cathode and anode) technologies, and solutions for integrating into cell designs and enabling high-perform, low-cost battery for GM’s next generation electric vehicles.
- Generate innovative ideas, initiate new research areas, and establish technical pathways pertaining to improving battery materials properties through crystalline-phase composition designing/tuning, microstructure engineering/modification and/or manufacturing process optimization.
- Set research direction and independently lead technology development, validation, and transferring to engineering organization within GM and external partners via commercialization by licensing, interface and collaborate with various material and cell suppliers
- Maintain state-of-the-art knowledge in technical areas of responsibility and understand relevance/importance of new technologies to corporate needs.
- Effective teamwork with internal and external partners globally
- Execute technical assignments independently and communicate results and business value clearly
- Write timely and high-quality internal reports
- Represent GM through external publications and presentations
- Solid background in related areas such as Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Materials Science
- Experienced with advanced battery materials (cathode and anode) development, characterization, cell design and fabrication as well as cell testing
- Experienced in electrochemistry and cell performance diagnosis and post-mortem analysis
- Established in technical community in respective field of study
- Ability to work both independently and in project teams
- Expertise in battery material synthesis, characterization and cell testing
- Proficient with advanced analytical technologies for materials from nano-scale to macro-scale level, such as SEM, TEM, 3D-APT and XRD.
- Good understanding of thermodynamics/kinetics calculations of phase transformations
- Skillful with oral and written communication in English
- Ph.D. degree in lithium-ion battery related disciplines such as Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science and Chemical Engineering (or related fields) with emphasis on battery materials (cathode and anode) development and characterization, at least two years of working experience in academic, in battery industry or at automotive OEMs
- Preferred: work experience in battery cathode/anode development and processing with research publications; and relevant experience in commercial labs or industrial R&D center
- Excellent technical problem-solving capability
- Interpersonal traits to work effectively with others in good peer relationships
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Integrity and Trust
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of unlawful discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications for each role and apply for any positions that match their skills and capabilities. Applicants in the recruitment process may be required, where applicable, to successfully complete a role-related assessment(s) and/or a pre-employment screening prior to beginning employment. To learn more, visit How we Hire
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (U.S.)
General Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Accommodations (U.S. and Canada)
General Motors offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.