This position is considered hybrid with an expectation to be in office 3 days a week.
GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.
The Manufacturing Optimization Material Engineer position is a unique opportunity to influence the way we as General Motors operate material flow in our assembly plants and lead the way to GM achieve a factory of future material flow world class level. Your mission is to implement material strategies & automation while collaborating with cross functional teams either in IT, Supply Chain, Manufacturing Engineering (ME) and mainly with plant team members to support successful Materials Automation projects execution and drive the best practices implementation, always working as ‘One Team’.
Key Deliverables will be to coordinate projects, plan, develop and execute Automation projects from dock to assembly line to create the most efficient, leanest processes for the entire GM Enterprise. This individual will work with all levels of cross functional teams. Work is of a difficult and involved nature, where a high level of independent judgment and discretion are exercised.
What You’ll Do (Responsibilities)
- Work with cross-functional teams to conceptualize, design, and execute automation programs and processes that improve supply chain, warehousing, and material flow.
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of Lean Material Strategies (LMS) such as Route Planning, Dock Strategies and Overall Material Flow analysis to optimize sequence of operations and workflow.
- Create and execute plans to Automate material handling process for unloading, coupled/decoupled material movement from dock to storage locations, dolly preparation, floor and dynamic material storage in high bay racks, Line Replenishment and Empty dunnage return, etc.
- Complete project plan reviews with the local production management teams for future implementations. Understand local contractual considerations for all projects.
- Provide Technical support and assistance to manufacturing and maintenance team members, production supervisors and production associates
- Able to quickly understand a Layout and propose ideas to Automate Material Flow and Storage processes.
- Have complete understanding of Bill of Processes (BOP) / Bill of Equipment (BOE).
- Deep Industrial Engineering Analysis based on PFEP Data from MGO to make calculations and determine/optimize Labor, Equipment and Area required for a project.
- Industrial Engineering Analysis using WMS, EPS and PPS reports and raw data.
- Analyze existing operations and propose continuous improvements (CI), using tools like GMOS to identify optimization opportunities.
- Coordinate and track through a Master Dot all project milestones & deliverables.
- Manage Timing, Resources, Budget, Lessons Learned, Performance Scorecard, Meeting Minutes, One Pager project weekly report for every project that this individual will lead.
- Be able to split an idea or plan in small pieces and create a Visio Flow to show all steps required to be completed by each stakeholder.
- Prepare Business calculation for a new project submission and approval.
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- Being available to travel within US and International as required in each phase of the project.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Industrial, Mechanical) or Supply Chain Management
- Minimum 5 years of equivalent experience (Mfg. and Supply chain)
- In-depth Floor Operations Materials processes knowledge.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience GMS, program/platform manufacturing and plant manufacturing.
- Highly Proficient with AutoCad, MS-Office tools (Excel, Visio, Project and Powerpoint).
- Knowledge of work measurement/Work standards (GMOS), ergonomic principles, material optimization, and facility layout.
- Basic manufacturing and assembly processes knowledge.
- Working knowledge on GM systems MGO/EPS/PPS. Knowledge in WMS.
- Previous experience as Project Lead, with the ability to coordinate resources, report status, and track timelines.
What Will Give You a Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications)
- Familiarity with automation execution, understanding the principles and concepts related to material flow automation.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of unlawful discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications for each role and apply for any positions that match their skills and capabilities. Applicants in the recruitment process may be required, where applicable, to successfully complete a role-related assessment(s) and/or a pre-employment screening prior to beginning employment. To learn more, visit How we Hire
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (U.S.)
General Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Accommodations (U.S. and Canada)
General Motors offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.