Candidate Privacy Statement
Last Revised: September 2022
At General Motors (GM or we/our), your privacy is important to us, as is your trust.
Our Candidate Privacy Statement (Privacy Statement) describes how we collect, use, and share personal information throughout the General Motors recruitment and hiring process. This Privacy Statement applies to personal information we obtain from and about individuals who apply for a job, register in our talent community, attend a recruitment event, complete an assessment, or otherwise participate in other recruitment processes with GM.
This Privacy Statement was developed pursuant to laws and regulations relating to the processing or protection of personal information applicable to GM in the jurisdictions where this Privacy Statement applies (Data Privacy Laws). Where there is a conflict between this Privacy Statement and the applicable Data Privacy Law, the Data Privacy Law controls.
Please take a moment to review our Privacy Statement and contact us if you have any questions.
- View and print our entire Candidate Privacy Statement (PDF)
Candidates may also be consumers of GM products and personal information may also be collected in that relationship. This consumer personal information will be handled as explained in the applicable consumer privacy statement.
The Privacy Statement can be viewed by clicking each section.
The GM recruiting and hiring process consists of multiple steps designed to evaluate your skills and qualifications for a particular position. If you choose to apply, you will be asked to provide GM with personal information. In many cases, this personal information is required to complete the GM hiring process, but we will do our best to tell you about optional personal information when we collect it.
GM collects, among others, the following personal information:
- Contact information ► including name, address, email address, phone number, and communication preferences
- Demographic information ► including date of birth, gender and gender identity, marital status, nationality and citizenship status, trade union membership, military or veteran status, race/ethnicity, and status as a person with a disability
- Identification information ► including citizen identification numbers issued by government bodies or agencies (e.g., depending on the country you are from, social security, citizen service or Personal Public Service number or national insurance number, passport number, tax identification number, driver’s license number) or work permit(s)
- Education and training related information ► including academic certificates and curriculum vitae
- Work experience information ► including employment history, professional certifications, references, or other information you provide
- Interview and assessment information ► including appraisals, assessments, feedback, and information you provide during phone screenings and interviews
- Photos & videos ► including recordings of interviews and assessments of video interviews
- Background screening information ► including, where applicable, the results of pre-hire background screenings of any kind such as credit and criminal background checks, educational background checks, motor vehicle record checks, drug and alcohol testing, and other pre-employment screenings
We may also collect or receive information about you from third parties, such as when you engage a third party to complete your application for you or from information you or others have posted publicly to job boards or other places. We will handle personal information the same regardless of whether we collect it or receive it from a third party.
GM will use the personal information we collect about you as required to carry out our recruiting and hiring processes, as necessary to comply with legal obligations applicable to GM, for our own legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of third parties we are engaged with, or with your consent where required by Data Privacy Laws. As such, we may use your personal information for the following legitimate business purposes:
- to match your skills and interest to GM job requirements throughout the application, recruiting and hiring process
- to identify opportunities at GM that we think may be of interest to you
- to communicate with you
- to perform data analytics, reporting, and benchmarking to improve the hiring process
- to inform our recruitment and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I) strategies
- to secure our network and information security assets
- to comply our legal and regulatory obligations
Where processing is based on consent you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Any withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal, and GM will continue to retain the information that you provided us before you withdrew your consent for as long as allowed or required by applicable law.
The company does not make any decisions concerning your employment application solely by automated means.
GM may share the personal information we collect about you in the following instances:
- within GM and, with our GM controlled subsidiaries and affiliates for the uses described above
- with our service providers who work on our behalf and who do not have an independent right to use the information to which they have access or that we disclose to them, such as with background screening suppliers for information verification
- with third parties for research and development purposes
- in connection with the sale, transfer, or financing of a significant part of a GM business or our assets, including any such activities associated with a bankruptcy proceeding
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a law enforcement request
- as required or permitted by law, such as in conjunction with a subpoena, government inquiry, government reporting requirements, litigation, dispute resolution, or similar legal process
Apart from the purposes listed above, GM will not share information about you with other third parties for their independent use without your permission, or where required by Data Privacy Laws, your consent.
GM may collect and process personal information of a more sensitive nature (known in some jurisdictions as special categories of personal data or sensitive personal information) when you voluntarily provide this information to GM, when we receive it from a third party with your consent, when relevant for a particular position to carry out our obligations under employment laws, or as Data Privacy Laws otherwise permit. Examples of sensitive personal information include information concerning religion, race/ethnicity, ethnic origin, political opinions or other beliefs, union affiliation or activities, health, sexuality, or criminal administrative proceedings or sanctions.
Within the GM hiring process, we may process the following sensitive personal information:
- Physical or mental health condition, drug, or disability status to determine appropriate workplace accommodations and evaluate fitness for a particular position
- Race/ethnicity, citizenship status, nationality, ethnic origin, or trade union membership to comply with statutory obligations
- Previous criminal charges or convictions where relevant for the position
Where we have a legitimate need to process this sensitive personal information about you for purposes not identified above, we will only do so only after providing you with notice and, if required by Data Privacy Laws, obtaining your prior, express consent.
GM is a global company and therefore may need to transfer your data to a country outside of where it was collected. Typically, data is transferred to the United States for processing, although personal information may be transferred to any location where GM, our subsidiaries or our service providers operate worldwide. By engaging with the GM hiring process or visiting the GM careers site you acknowledge and agree to the transfer of your personal information to countries outside of your country of residence that may not have the same data privacy laws as those in your home country. GM complies with applicable legal requirements providing adequate protection for the transfer of personal information, including, where applicable, standard contractual clauses. See “How To Contact Us” below for questions or, where applicable, to request a copy of these standard contractual clauses.
At this time, we do not honor “do no track” signals from a website browser. However, you may refuse or delete cookies. Please refer to your browser Help instructions to learn more about cookies and other technologies and how to manage their use. If you elect to refuse or delete cookies, you will need to repeat this process if you use another computer or change browsers. If you choose to decline cookies, some of the functionality of a website may be impaired.
We may communicate with you about the GM hiring process via mail, telephone, e-mail, text message, social media, and other electronic messages via our websites and applications.
By consenting in your GM job application to receive text messages with information about the GM hiring process, such as invitations to schedule a telephone screen or an interview, you authorize us or those acting on our behalf to send text messages using an automatic telephone dialing system to your mobile telephone number provided to us. Message and data rates may apply, and message frequency may vary.
You may opt-out of receiving these text messages at any time by replying STOP to 37274. For further assistance, reply HELP to 37274 and a Global Talent Acquisition team member will reach out to assist.
If you are not the primary account holder for the mobile telephone that you are using to enroll for GM initiated text messages, you confirm that you are authorized to, and do, consent on behalf of the account holder to receive these messages.
We reserve the right to change and consolidate our telephone numbers, including any short codes. If you do not agree to receive text messages from new telephone numbers, including short codes, your sole remedy is to opt out.
If you no longer wish to receive communications from our Talent Community, you may unsubscribe using a link in one of our Talent Community email notifications. If you would like to remove yourself completely from our Talent Community, you can opt out by contacting your Talent Acquisition contact.
GM maintains reasonable and adequate technical, administrative, and physical security and confidentiality measures designed to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access or use. We also require by contract (other than in certain emergency situations) that third party service providers acting on our behalf or with whom we share your personal information also undertake to provide such security and confidentiality measures in accordance with industry standards.
GM may keep personal information we collect for as long as necessary to fulfill the uses described in this Privacy Statement. We regularly delete or anonymize personal information subject to our information lifecycle management policy and record retention schedule. We are required to maintain certain information to comply with applicable law or if necessary to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim. To the extent possible, we will restrict the processing of your personal information for the limited purposes that require its retention.
Candidates in some countries or regions have certain rights under Data Privacy Laws which may include:
- right to access and obtain a copy of personal information
- right to obtain the rectification of inaccurate and/or incomplete personal information
- right to erasure of personal information that is no longer needed by GM and which GM no longer needs to retain
- right to object to processing
- right to obtain personal information in a portable format for transfer to another controller
Exercise these rights by contacting your recruiter or by contacting our privacy officer at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will process your request as soon as practicable, however we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes, to complete any transactions that you began prior to your request, or for other purposes as required or permitted by Data Privacy Laws. The data controller for candidate personal information is the General Motors entity that you applied to, typically General Motors Company in the United States.
You also have a right to lodge a complaint with the applicable data protection authority if you believe that your personal information has been processed in violation of the applicable Data Privacy Law.
We reserve the right to amend this Privacy Statement at our discretion and at any time. When we make material changes to this Privacy Statement, we will notify you through a notice on our careers website. The effective date of this Privacy Statement is noted in the header at the top of this page.
This Privacy Statement does not constitute a contract between General Motors and any candidate, job applicant or other individual.