General Motors is a purposeful company dedicated to building a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, and Zero Congestion. Safety and quality are foundational commitments, never compromised. It takes a unified Legal Staff committed to our core values to achieve this goal. General Motor's Counsel embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving Legal Staff personify tomorrow's transportation. Legal Staff supports GM’s vision to be the most inclusive employer in the world.
Utilizing a broad array of legal specialties from strategic transactions to intellectual property, to privacy and cybersecurity, GM Legal seeks legal professionals who can combine a passion for legal excellence in thought, business, and people leadership with a high dose of curiosity, integrity, and rigorous thinking.
General Motors is striving to improve the communities where we live and delivering a sustainable future for generations to come. If this appeals to you, we hope you’ll join us!
About the Role:
General Motors is looking for a quality focused Counsel – Privacy and Cybersecurity to set the standard on legal analysis for our company and to help our leaders make mindful decisions for our products and our people. This role will be central to GM’s overall privacy strategy, collaborating with legal, public policy and product development teams.
The Counsel will support GM’s global privacy and cybersecurity programs. Key responsibilities include:
- Working closely with GM technical and business teams to understand their perspectives, projects and technologies and provide legal advice on the development, delivery and operation of connected vehicle technologies, including privacy-by-design and security-by-design guidance
- Collaborating with GM public policy and international legal colleagues to track, analyze and help shape global privacy regulations and develop an overall regulatory strategy in connection with GM privacy initiatives and product features
- Providing advice on proposed or pending privacy and security legislation and regulations to assess the impact on GM business interests and to advance those interests
- Supporting global incident response and vulnerability management and coordinate investigations and responses
- Providing legal advice and counsel GM’s Cybersecurity organization on the development of policies and procedures, supply chain security and the secure development lifecycle for GM product offerings
- Handling highly sophisticated legal matters and advocating clear business actions
- Ownership of relationships with executive partners and extensive collaboration with cross-functional partners to understand their business needs
- Formulating and completing end-to-end legal analysis and recommendation with innovative business solutions, including data gathering, strategic thinking, and ongoing communication
- As a member of the General Motors Legal Staff, Counsel will strive to be a role model for the Company and deliver timely, best-in-class business advisory and legal services with integrity while protecting GM’s high standards of legal, ethical, and financial integrity. Each member of the Legal Staff, including Counsel, is expected to enforce these standards:
- Workplace and Product Safety
- Compliance & Ethical obligations
- Strategic Partnering and Innovation
- Responsive & Accountable with a Strong Work Ethic
- Real-time Transparency, Intentional Inclusion and Open Communication
- Financial savvy, including budgeting
- Community Involvement and Professional Development
- Knowledge of and experience advising technology companies on relevant U.S. and international privacy laws (CCPA and GDPR) and global product security, supply chain security and cybersecurity regulations and industry frameworks (CA IoT, ISO, NIST CSF, PCI-DSS, Secure Development Lifecycle)
- Experience handling cybersecurity incidents and personal information data losses
- Relevant privacy and cybersecurity experience
- Experience working with public policy teams and/or federal and state privacy regulators
- Strong oral and written communication skills with an ability to express complex legal matters in clear, concise, business-friendly language
- Ability to efficiently resolve issues and recommend solutions that are legally sound and pragmatic in the context of business goals
- Deep interest, knowledge, and proficiency in key legal trends that impact your success to problem-solve and provide excellent business judgment to our internal and external customers
- Strong attention to detail, passion for establishing clarity in ambiguity, and bias to action
- Ability to collaborate, form relationships, gain credibility, and partner up and down a matrixed organization
- Demonstrated success of establishing client rapport and participating in an environment of continuous improvement
- A minimum of (10) years of experience focused on privacy and cybersecurity matters
- Law degree from an accredited college or university
- Admitted to practice in at least one jurisdiction in the United States
Compensation: The expected base compensation for this role is : $166,131 - $215,000 . Actual base compensation within the identified range will vary based on factors relevant to the position.
Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays.
GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.