GM is undergoing a major transformation, both in how we operate and in how we will influence the future of transportation. General Motors has needs for qualified Metal Model Maker Journeypersons in Design Operations. Working under minimal supervision, and dependent on the work assignment, the Metal Model Maker Journeyperson is responsible for the review of part prints or 3-D models, developing a manufacturing process sequence, writing CNC programs, selection and setting of cutting tools, the construction, and the inspection of a variety of propulsion unit components and/or parts used for design evaluation and testing purposes.
• Follow established safety procedures according to OSHA standards and company procedures
• Fabricate models from drawings, designer, or Engineering verbal direction and/or math data
• Work in different mediums such as ferrous, non-ferrous, carbon fiber, fiberglass, wax, plastic, etc.
• Operate a variety of metal working machines such as (e.g., milling, grinding, water jet, EDM, drilling, turning, punch press, press brake, shearing, and leak test)
• Welding, MIG/TIG, ferrous and non-ferrous metals
• Part and Fixture construction and inspection/GD&T
• Operate CMM equipment & Scanning equipment
• Perform NX design and CNC programming/machining (i.e., CAD/CAM)
• CMM programming and operate equipment
• Perform bench engineering – troubleshooting of mechanical assemblies and making adjustments/corrections
• Work with Operations, Engineering, and peers in a team environment
Interested individuals must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- U.S. Department of Labor Completion of Apprenticeship Certificate as Metal Model Maker or six (6) years of documented experience as a Metal Model Maker
- Must be able to satisfactorily complete the General Motors hiring process requirements which include comprehensive assessments, hair drug testing, and a background check
- At least 18 years of age
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Must be willing to work flexible shift hours and day or afternoon shift as well as overtime hours daily and weekends on those shifts with little notice
- GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU NEED OR WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP TO WORK OR TO REMAIN EMPLOYED AT GM (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.).
- If you are a current GM employee operating under a collective bargaining agreement, please contact your local HR/LR for employee placement opportunities.
- This position may be filled with a Journeyperson or Journeyperson In Training, the compensation ranges for a JIT include ($31.64-$35.57) or Journeyperson rate of $36.48. Certificates/credentials and scoring in interview will determine your status and pay.
General Motors UAW hourly employment offers a very competitive compensation and benefit package. An annual incentive payout is also available, as qualified.