This is a hands-on and strategic opportunity in a high growth area of emerging Global Regulatory Fuel Economy and CO2 reduction requirements for EVs and enabling new 48V customer exciting features. Seeking highly motivated candidates that possess creativity and initiative as well as a high level of independent judgment. Candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Responsible to create and maintain global subsystem technical specification (SSTS) for Electric Power Subsystem/ Energy Storage System in DOORs
- Develop control algorithms to perform required subsystem features including CO2 reduction
- Implement new feature/functions related to the applicable subsystem
- Document, coordinate, and implement subsystem design changes using RTC (Rational Team Concert)
- Support the definition, development and validation of subsystem software to perform required system features
- Create high level mechanization drawing with the assistance of the architecture group
- Lead subsystem TRB (Technical Review Board)
- Lead subsystem DFMEAs
- Candidate will develop calibration strategies for related subsystem and ensure these are implemented correctly.
- Candidate will oversee the creation of new and revised requirements from start to finish, including development by the software team and implementation by validation team.
- "Close the Loop" on learnings by updating required information (Best Practices, GM Specifications, etc.) and document progress in Problem Resolution Tracking System (PRTS)
- Participate in root causing and resolution of field issues and recommend appropriate course of actions
- Provides technical leadership for advanced technology development
- Review Owner’s Manual and Service Information related to the applicable subsystem
- Intimate knowledge of hardware and software interfaces
- Perform complex design analysis
- Develops engineering designs (including subsystems)
- Stay abreast of advanced energy storage technologies and competitive products to achieve low cost, efficient energy storage systems
- Support CASPER documents maintained by the PPEI group
- Travel as required
Basic Required Qualifications
- Completed Bachelors Degree in a STEM field required; BSEE / MSEE strongly preferred
- 2 years of post graduation engineering experience required; 3+ years automotive experience strongly preferred
- Controls System experience with automotive components
- High level understanding of Automotive Safety Integrity Levels and their application to 12V power system design and integration
- Skilled in writing and comprehending software requirements
- Knowledge of vehicle serial data communications (CAN, GMLAN, LIN,) and electrical architectures (Class 2, Common Architecture, Global A, and Global B)
- Good knowledge of product design and development cycles – GVDP (Global Vehicle Development Process)
- High level knowledge of automotive subsystems requiring ASIL rated Power
- Ability to read system engineering schematics and understand electronic / electrical functionality
- Experience in troubleshooting software anomalies using software development tools (including data capture and analysis).
- Knowledge of microcontroller architectures, memory technologies, and programming
- Working knowledge of automotive component and system level test plans, including EMC testing.
- High level understanding of hardware and software design and failure modes in electronic modules
- Experienced in performing system, subsystem, software, and component level DFMEAs
- Experience in the automotive product release and specification process e.g., E2, APM, GART, DOORS, RTC, GIT, Synergy
Additional Basic Required Qualifications
- Ability to work independently and learn new technology areas without formal instruction
- Knowledge in controls system design and software development
- Knowledge of energy storage design principles and system integration
- Results driven individual with high levels of initiative and proactivity
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated technical and professional skills in job-related area required
- Communicate ideas, plans, and results effectively via presentations and written reports
- Work effectively with peers, management, operations groups, personnel, and outside organizations
- High level analytical ability where problems are unusual and complex
Additional Basic Preferred Qualifications
- Experience in performing system and component level DFMEAs
- High level knowledge of industry 12/48V features and implementations by other OEMs
- High level knowledge of supplier roadmaps for 12/48V subsystem
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.