About GM Student Corps:
GM Student Corps (GMSC) is a comprehensive, paid summer internship program for high school students in metro-Detroit, Flint and Pontiac that encompasses community service, life skills training, team building and mentoring. The program is centered around professional development to prepare students to tackle today’s challenges and become tomorrow’s leaders. Each participating school team consists of 8 high school interns, 2 to 3 GM retirees and one college intern. Teams work together to develop their own community service projects in their school or neighborhood. Since 2013, GMSC's goal is preparing students to face today’s challenges and become tomorrow’s leaders.
In this unique role, college interns can make a great impact in the metro-Detroit community, while simultaneously preparing for their own future professional careers. As an intern, you would play a crucial role in the program as you co-lead community-focused projects, while instructing critical life skills and helping students determine their next steps to achieve their post-high school goals. College interns are exposed to different career paths in GM through workshops and trainings, mentorship with a GM employee in their field of study as well as participate in a group project tackling real world business problems.
For a deeper look into the program, check out this video here: https://youtu.be/Xj5SKFi980M
Internship Focus Areas:
Project Management: Brainstorm, research, design, and execute community improvement projects alongside the retirees, guiding the students these valuable skills along the way.
Leadership and Communication: Ability to lead and communicate to varying levels of program participants (high school students, retirees, and program management).
Mentoring: Spend time with the students discussing their next steps after high school – what career fields are of interest to them, what type of higher education is required, where to obtain that education, and how to navigate the higher education space successfully.
Lesson Plan Facilitation: Organize and facilitate lessons to help instruct the students valuable soft skills such as communication, teamwork, and presenting.
Program Administration: Maintain financial budget for assigned school team. Track and update payroll information for high school interns. Opportunity to learn and implement corporate giving process.
Professional Development: Network with GM employees and learn about different areas of the company. Weekly conversations with assigned Mentor to work on goals, practice skills and prepare of post college graduation.
- Currently pursuing a degree in Business, Engineering, Communications, Psychology, Technology, Social Work, or Education.
- Preferred graduation date between December 2022 and June 2023: but would consider sophomore/freshmen for the right candidate
- Demonstrates leadership in field of study, extra-curricular activities or service organizations
- Able to work full time - 40 hours per week during the summer month
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as needed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to distill complex subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and collaboration skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/is proactive
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability and trust
- Consistently demonstrates innovative thinking that is customer-centric
- Preferred ability to drive company vehicles for work assignments, such as 15-person passenger vans and pickup trucks
- Willing and able to participate in community improvement projects with teams, this could include, but is not limited to, yardwork, painting, and learning to utilize new tools
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2022 Student Program.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.