Our plants are the groundwork for GM and a hotbed of innovation. We champion a spirit of innovation and creativity. Here you will be able to come to the table with fresh and new insights to help develop and implement into the plant. You will work on a variety of projects. This could include working on projects that support the development of manufacturing processes & technologies, equipment/tooling alternatives, sequence, and flow of operations for the effective utilization of personnel, material, machines, and facilities vital to produce parts / vehicles.
Projects could potentially involve one or more of the following in support of new product program launches:
- Development of Sequence of operations
- Evaluation of Ergonomic / Human factors
- Development / validation of man-machine interface
- Development of efficient material flow process
- Short term travel to suppliers / assembly plants to support / validate tools and systems
- Continuous process improvements
Job locations can be at Manufacturing Engineering headquarters in Warren, MI or in various plant locations throughout the U.S. Plant locations include:
- Warren, MI
- Flint, MI
- Lansing, MI
- Orion, MI
- Fort Wayne, IN
- Arlington, TX
- Bowling Green, KY
- Spring Hill, TN
- Wentzville, MO
- Fairfax, KS
- Parma, OH
Travel varies based on assignment and may be required for strategic partners and plants.
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Engineering; preferred majors include Additive Manufacturing, Electrical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Polymers, Welding
- Must be graduating in Spring of 2024 or later
- Able to work fulltime, 40 hours per week
- Willingness to work in a plant environment
- Willingness to work any shift, potentially including weekends
- Enrolled in a co-op program at your university
- Demonstrated leadership in field of study, extracurricular activities, or service organizations
- Able to work independently and with a team
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as needed
- Oral and written communication skills with the ability to distill complex subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and teamwork skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, take initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability, and trust
This role offers the following Work Appropriately strategies:
- Onsite: This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
- Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be onsite full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
- Remote : This position does not require employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work off-site on a permanent basis.
The start date for these co-ops roles are January 2023 or later. GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2023 Student Program.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.