As a Manufacturing Engineering Co-op, you will experience different positions and assignments in plant and corporate staff locations throughout the United States. Each work term will cultivate development through hands-on and engaging assignments. You will learn problem solving on the fly, work collaboratively with cross-functional teams and be able to innovate. Most assignments will be located in Warren, MI or Vehicle Assembly Plants in MI. Examples of Manufacturing Engineering assignments available include:
- Programming of manufacturing technology
- Analyze product, process, and technology to craft best methods to paint & assemble vehicles, and protect the manufacturing process
- Recommend and validate improvement for existing processes
- Develop tools to improve program/project management including virtual simulation and validation
- Support development and implementation of cybersecurity tools for manufacturing
- Assist in the design, building, and validation of tools, equipment, and/or processes with safety and customers in mind
- Assist personnel in operation and maintenance of specialized equipment
- Coordinate and manage machinery upgrade and/or installation projects
About Global Manufacturing Engineering - Vehicle Systems Roles & Responsibilities
- Responsible for all systems from exit of Body Shop through shipping of finished vehicle
- Develop & validate new physical and virtual Manufacturing Technologies and Standards for Automation, Paint, and General Assembly Shops of the future
- Develop Processes, Machine & Equipment and Tools for 50+ Assembly Plants, 40+ Stamping Plants, and approximately 30 launches each year globally
- Develop assembly and material processes for future vehicle models
- Develop, Validate, and Maintain Common Conveyance Systems and Controls
- Develop, Validate, and Maintain Cybersecurity Technology to create a secure factory
- Teams work collaboratively with other centers and suppliers to reduce energy and waste globally
Job locations can be at Manufacturing Engineering headquarters in Warren, Michigan or in various plant locations throughout the U.S. Plant locations include:
- Warren, MI
- Detroit / Hamtramck, MI
- Flint, MI
- Lansing, MI
- Orion, MI
- Milford, MI
- Fort Wayne (Roanoke), IN
- Arlington, TX
- Bowling Green, KY
- Spring Hill, TN
- Wentzville, MO
- Fairfax, KS
- Parma, OH
Travel varies based on assignment and may be required for strategic partners and plants.
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Engineering or Technology in one of the following areas: Automation, Automotive, Chemical, Computer/Computer Science/Computer Animation, Industrial, Machine Learning, Manufacturing, Mechanical, Mechatronics, or Robotics from an accredited college or university
- Must be graduating in winter 2024 or later
- Able to work fulltime, 40 hours per week
- Enrolled in a co-op program at your university
- Conceptual understanding and/or experience with any of the following:
- Controls – software, hardware development or execution
- Developing tools, equipment, or processes such as layouts
- Simulation/Game design or development
- Artificial intelligence, machine learning, machine vision equipment or systems
- Automation or automated equipment such as conveyance
- Information Technology
- Construction or installation planning, process, or execution
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization and external partners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to distill complex subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and collaboration skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability, and trust
- Consistently demonstrates innovative thinking that is customer-centric
- Excellent project management skills and the proven ability to manage multiple projects at any given
- Knowledge of statistical methods as applied to experimental design and process development
This role offers the following Work Appropriately strategies:
- Onsite: This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
- Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be onsite full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
The start date for these co-ops roles are Spring/Summer 2023 or later. GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2023 Student Program.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.