As an Advanced Analytics intern, you will have an opportunity on project(s) that may entail:
- Develop analytical solutions by applying Data Science and Modeling techniques to deliver useful insights for better decisions and better business performance.
- Perform hands-on analysis, design, and development of analytical solutions
- Perform exploratory and targeted data analyses, which could include complex event and real-time event processing
- Build predictive models and machine learning algorithms
- Analyze large amounts of diverse information to discover trends and patterns
- Drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources
- Prepare and clean structured and/or unstructured data
- Combine models through ensemble modeling
- Present complex information using data visualization techniques
- Identify practical insights, make recommendations, and communicate results to business and technical audiences
- Establish strong working relationships with cross-functional teams to formulate business problems and validate assumptions
- Assess new technologies, as needed, as related to solving business problems
- Work under mentorship of a senior data scientist on analytical solutions
- Get exposure to other work being done in the Advanced Analytics Center of Excellence
- Pursuing Master’s, or PhD Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Operations Research, Engineering, Economics, or another quantitative field.
- Must be graduating with graduate degree (Master's or PhD), no earlier than December 2023.
- Ability to show skills in several of following areas: classification, regression, forecasting, clustering, anomaly detection, co-occurrence grouping, similarity matching, profiling, link prediction, dimensionality reduction, tensor decomposition and regression, and causal inference
- A strong passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions with data
- Proficiency with at least one programming language such as Python, R, Scala or Java
- Experience with SQL and familiarity with relational databases
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau, PowerBI, or similar
- Excellent teammate and communicator with strong interpersonal skills.
- Cultivates open, inclusive culture that supports learning and encourages collaboration.
- Has a thirst to learn the latest knowledge in software and hardware products or services, trends, help select the best solutions to meet business requirements, and support the presentation and explanation of design solution to customers.
- Experience working with large data sets, distributed computing tools (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, etc.), and Machine Learning pipelines (Scikit-learn, DASK, etc.)
- Experience with deep learning libraries such as tensorflow or pytorch
- Experience or deep interest in geographic information system (GIS) such as GIS data representation, coordinate system projection, geostatistics, geocoding and cartography
This position has a planned start date of May/June 2023.
This role offers the following Work Appropriately strategies:
- Remote : This position does not require employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work off-site on a permanent basis.
The median level of the monthly salary compensation for this role is $4000-$6700, dependent upon class status and degree. Benefit options are not available for this role.
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2023 Student Program.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.