About GM Defense
GM Defense is driving the future of military mobility by using the best-in-class capabilities of General Motors for unmatched innovation, proven performance, and breakthrough life-cycle economics! We deliver reliable, affordable, and innovative products across a full spectrum of capabilities – integrated vehicles, power and propulsion, autonomy, mobility, and security.
About this Internship
GM Defense is seeking a highly motivated, dynamic individual looking for an opportunity that will allow them to showcase their talents and have an impact in a strategic growth area. Our ideal candidate thrives in ambiguity and demonstrate problem-solving leadership with limited oversight. This candidate will be onsite at one of manufacturing plants working closely with the front of the line teams.
- Support GMD build shop activities for prototype vehicles, vehicle retrofits, engineering development vehicles, Business Development fleet vehicles, etc.
- Work closely with Salaried Technicians and Fabricators
- Support material and inventory activities related to project vehicles
- Work with Program Engineering Managers and Designers for design, fabrication and delivery of project vehicles and prototypes
- Assist in developing manufacturing processes and procedures
- Assist in developing tooling and equipment requirements
Currently pursuing a bachelor's in industrial engineering, mechanical engineering, or manufacturing engineering
Must be graduating between December 2023 and June 2024
Experience with MS Office, Vis Mockup, engineering software and systems as it pertains to job-related area
- Participation in Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME), Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), or Institute of Industrial & Systems Engineers (IISE)
- Prior manufacturing or automotive experience
- Communication and teamwork skills
- Exercises independent judgement and creative solution development with minimal direction from EGM
- Demonstrated ability of “dealing with ambiguity” to enable timely decision making
- Strong interpersonal skills involving ability to work effectively cross-functionally and cross-culturally
This position has a planned start date of May/June 2023.
This role offers the following Work Appropriately strategies:
- Onsite: This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2023 Student Program.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.