The Advanced Battery Architect in the Advanced Battery Strategy, Systems and Advanced Technology Work Team is responsible for defining the initial requirements and leading design development of a high voltage, lithium-ion battery pack that will power a future GM BEV. In this role you will pull from the latest battery technology to enable GM to have the best electrified vehicle portfolio in the industry. This person will lead a high-performance team of battery and battery component engineers and will lead multi-functional collaboration to create a battery design that meets aggressive Program Requirements. The Advanced Battery Architect will directly affect the safety, performance, quality, reliability and durability of future hybrid, plug-in and battery electric vehicles manufactured by GM.
This Role Offers the Following Work Appropriately Strategy: Hybrid
This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. This position requires an employee to be onsite every other week.
- Utilize the Battery Process of Engineering (PoE) in STAGES to create a battery pack design solution for a new vehicle through the Balanced Architecture phase of product development (ahead of the Execution Team’s Kickoff), using appropriate industry leading technologies from component technology roadmaps
- Lead a Battery Pack Product Development Team and PDT meetings
- Coordinate execution of Battery PoE in PDT, and status progress in PoE
- Create and execute to a detailed Battery Pack timing plan aligned to Propulsion System timing
- Lead creation of Battery Pack system and subsystem CAD models and negotiate pack requirements with Vehicle and Propulsion Teams, according to aggressive battery requirements and cutting edge component capabilities
- Ensure all documentation is up-to-date and stored in appropriate GM data storage location
- Prepare overall battery pack details and status for “Virtual Learning” (VL) reviews
- Lead battery pack-level VL reviews, and ensure all contributors provide required supporting materials
- Ensure battery pack meets all functional requirements
- Lead technical resolution for battery pack analysis and component level issues
- Guide, train, and support DREs to execute engineering work
- Hand-off design of battery pack to the Execution Team at the Execution Kickoff
- Ensure appropriate Suppliers provide cutting edge component solutions to meet or exceed requirements
- Provide feedback/direction and linkage Propulsion and Vehicle Teams, and Battery Component PDTs
- Represent Battery Pack in leadership meetings
- Provide hand-off of CAD, CAE and requirements to Execution Team
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering
- Five years of experience in Engineering
- Experience in and passion for Battery Engineering
- Significant Program or Project Management experience
- High voltage or electrified vehicle safety training and hands on work experience
- Excellent computer skills including analyzing data and crafting presentations
- High level understanding of engineering theory and principles of automotive energy storage systems
- High level of analytical ability where problems are complicated
- Time management skills to deliver agreed upon customer work and to be able to run multiple projects
- Interpersonal styles and communication skills to both lead and work optimally with local and international team members
- Technical writing ability to build written engineering evaluation reports
- Ability to read, interpret and generate engineering drawings and specifications
- Master’s degree in Engineering or Management
- 7+ years of experience with a major automotive OEM and/or supplier
- 5+ years of Battery Engineering Experience, across varying battery component areas
- Experience in structural, thermal and electrical analysis
- DFSS Black Belt Certified
- Experience with Unigraphics NX or other CAD Software
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.