Vehicle Motion Embedded Control (VMEC), Advanced Feature Function Team is looking to add an Advanced Control/Software Engineer. As the Advanced Control/Software Engineer, you will play a vital role in innovation, utilizing you expertise to create controls solutions to improve our propulsion systems. As a part of our team, you will contribute to GM’s vision of Zero, Zero, Zero by supporting the innovation of advanced technical projects focused on reducing tailpipe emissions, increasing fuel economy/range per charge, and improving vehicle handling/performance!
This position allows flexibility utilizing our hybrid, Work Appropriately model where team members can work at a GM facility or off-site; only requiring the team member be onsite to support project needs. At GM, we believe work-life harmonization is essential to a team member’s success and job satisfaction.
This position requires an individual with:
- Knowledge in one of the following control domains: engine, transmission, electric vehicle
- Capability to support multiple technical projects
- Adept knowledge of embedded control systems
- Ability to manage ambiguity
- Passion for innovation
- Support Advanced Technical Work (ATW) projects
- Performing modeling simulation
- Verify control methods/software on SIL/HIL test bench and/or developmental vehicles
- Develop control methods and controller software code
- Develop calibrations and/or calibration methods
- Perform system verification based on stakeholder or project requirements
- Innovate solutions to support the transition of physical to virtual testing
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- 2+ years of system or cross domain engineering experience
- An understanding of Global B/VIP System Architecture
- Familiarity with embedded software development, automated build process, and associated tools (Git/Gerrit)
- Experience in software coding
- Proficient with HIL and/or SIL testing
- Knowledge of MATLAB/Simulink
- Understanding rapid prototyping platforms: ETAS, d-SPACE
- Familiarity with simulation tools: GT Suite, Amesim
- Proficient with automotive communication technology: Intrepid Vehicle Spy
- Experience successfully leading large and/or difficult projects with high levels of ambiguity
- Ability to understand vehicle level wiring schematics
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- 5+ years in controls and/or software
- Proficient in calibration development
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.