Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility 1-3 days per week.
An Advanced Electric Drive Application Engineer is responsible for definition and documentation of requirements, execution of design, analysis, development, and testing of electric drives (inverters & motors) ensuring successful vehicle application of the electric drive, considering hardware, controls, calibration, software, and overall integration
Role & Responsibilities:
- Lead development and documentation of initial component and subsystem requirements for electric drives
- Responsible for deriving and developing component requirements to meet propulsion system requirements using systems engineering discipline, standard work and analysis / simulation including competitive assessments
- Responsible for the documentation of component requirements (via RCEs, ICDs) based on flow down of requirements from Propulsion System Technical Specs (P-STS) and vehicle technical specifications (VTS)
- Responsible for developing electric drive components to meet key performance and cost targets by working collaboratively with Product Engineering, Systems Engineering, Modeling, Analysis, Cost Engineering, Planning, and Program teams
- Lead or coordinate component trade studies to select optimized solutions to meet vehicle requirements of range, performance, drive quality, and cost
- Ensure analytical models, initial component designs, and controls have been developed with high fidelity through the BA phase for a successful hand-off at PPDR to Execution and Program teams
- Support multi-functional team led by advanced propulsion system architect in the development of Electrified Propulsion System Architectures through the Advanced Technology Work (ATW), Balanced Architecture (BA), and early GPDP development phase in accordance with the Electrification Process of Engineering
- Support development of the system level DFMEA led by Propulsion System Architect collaborating with key collaborators from System Engineering teams, Safety, and Controls
- Work with other SMT’s, Vehicle teams, planning, Finance, and Electrification leadership as necessary to lead the project team through successful completion of key ATW, BA, and GPDP gates
- Lead advanced technology development and testing ATW work in electric drives as needed
- Actively pursue cost reduction, efficiency, and power density improvement through advanced projects on electric drives
- Establish technology leadership and maintain relationships with industry technical experts, key university labs, and national laboratories
- Collaborate across organizations to support electric drive vehicle integration and testing
- Collaborate with and provide technical guidance to Tier 1 / 2 suppliers
- Develop engineering designs and generate technical solutions for advanced hardware
- Participate in supplier technical reviews and DFMEA reviews to ensure design compliance
- Develop intellectual property and document design and process improvements via technical reports
- Perform competitive benchmarking and component teardowns
- Utilize DFSS methodology as a decision tool for design trade-off activities and decision making
Bachelor of Science in Engineering
Experience in electric drives / motors / power electronics experience
Knowledge in power electronics theory and principles
Knowledge in design, development, and testing of electric drives
Experience in design for EMC in power electronics modules
Understanding of electrified vehicle system and integration
High level of technical problem-solving skills and experience to address vehicle level issues
High level of project management skills and the ability to influence those that are not direct reports
High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and effectively with domestic and international business partners
Design, development, validation or release experience
Ability to work non-standard hours to collaborate with overseas suppliers
Ability to create and present information to leadership, peers, customers, and suppliers in a clear and concise manner
Fluency in using commercial tools for modeling and simulation of power electronics and electric drives
Hands-on experience working in high-voltage laboratory and dynamometer environment
Available to travel to support supplier engagement and conferences
M.S. or Ph.D. Degree with specialization in electric drives (motors/inverters)
Experience with electrical and mechanical CAD/CAE tools
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.