This can be a remote position; the selected candidate can reside and perform the work from anywhere within the United States.
GM Connected Customer and Mobility Solutions Team is seeking an ambitious and creative software engineer who will contribute to the build and development of new Telematics/Infotainment applications that are downloaded and/or directly integrated to in-vehicle infotainment. As a member of the in-vehicle applications team, this individual will work hand in hand with stakeholders and other engineers throughout the entire product development lifecycle in order to define, design, develop, and deliver groundbreaking applications that re-define the driving experience.
The Software Engineer will be responsible for application development and support including story elaboration, estimation, analysis, design, programming, unit/integration testing and code debugging leveraging the Scrum framework. This person will work in a highly collaborative, cross-functional, and Agile environment and will contribute to team commitments and deliverables. This person will:
- Proficiently build and maintain Android applications that contribute to the connected car feature roadmap
- Generate automated test cases based on feature development within applications
- Elaborate, estimate, and design for small increments of work based on sprint planning
- Perform and participate in root cause analysis of defects
- Commit to completing well-defined work and deliver on those commitments
- Swarm around tasks along with other Scrum team members
- Pair program with different people in many situations as dictated by sprint planning strategies
- Configure and manage continuous integration build and delivery pipelines for release
- Report status of assigned software development and/or maintenance tasks
- Implement and maintain tools to further automate build, release packaging, deployment, and configuration management processes
- BS in Computer Science or similar field of study along with applicable work experience
- Experience with Android UI design (including custom views)
- Experience writing Android clients for Web Services (REST, RPC, and/or SOAP)
- Experience with Android Activities and Fragments
- Experience with multi-threaded development on Android platforms
- Firm understanding of Intents, ContentProviders, Services, BroadcastReceivers, Handlers and AIDL.
- Experience managing the build and release process for Android apps
- Experience installing, configuring, and maintaining DevOps tools and technologies such as Bitbucket, Jenkins, Git, Gerrit, Artifactory
- Experience with Maven, Gradle dependency management systems and Android build tools
- Strong understanding of CI and experience with industry standard solutions, e.g., Jenkins
- Proven experience with object-oriented design and design patterns
- Experience using source code control systems such as Git and pull request processes
- Knowledge of and desire to work in an Agile development environment
- Experience with native Android UI development for embedded (vehicle) systems
- Experience with Kotlin and RX Java methods
- Thorough knowledge of evolving Android platforms (Android M, Android P, etc.)
- Experience with Agile development methodologies including XP practices, test-driven development and pair programming
- Strong programming and scripting knowledge, e.g., Python, Ruby, PowerShell, Bash
- Awareness of the Android UI/UX guidelines
- Experience with mapping and search providers
- Experience with other Google APIs (licensing, in-app billing, etc)
- Experience leveraging Android Widgets
- Experience with Internationalization and Localization
- Experience with Alexa and Google assistant Skill/Action development
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.