Remote - This position does not require employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The Employees role enables them to work off-site on a permanent basics. In the USA this is an employee who lives more than 100 miles from their designed, Primary worksite
Assistant Director – Counsel & Compliance
At General Motors, we have a vision of a world with zero crashes, zero emissions, and zero congestion and believe that our people are the driving force behind making this a reality. The Global Finance team is essential to achieving our vision through our ability to generate insights that maximize profitability, minimize risk, and pave the way toward greater innovation. At General Motors we value the employee and seek to create a culture of inclusivity, integrity, boldness and innovation.
The General Motors Global Tax and Customs department is a team of approximately 190 people focused primarily on GM’s strategic and most complex tax and customs matters. We manage relationships with numerous external partners who perform many of our routine functions. We aspire to be a trusted advisor to both internal customers and external stakeholders to whom we provide actionable, innovative advice in a straightforward manner. To achieve these goals, we strive to empower team members through trust, flexibility, feedback and career development.
Overview of Your Role:
The Assistant Director is responsible for serving as the Customs and North American Export Compliance Officer and managing all facets of the following Global GM Customs functions: (1) legal controversies, advice, and appeals, (2) complex contract review, and (3) Controls & Compliance COE.
Export Compliance Officer: The Assistant Director is responsible for ensuring the Global Customs Group maintains full compliance with all applicable export control laws and regulations which govern the export and re-export of GM products (including equipment, machinery, vehicles, materials, components, and any other hardware item), software, technology (including technical data), and/or services. The Assistant Director shall also ensure the Global Customs Group understands their obligations to comply with applicable export control laws and regulations.
Legal controversies, advice, and appeals: The Assistant Director will be responsible for providing trusted guidance to business units regarding any legal controversies, supporting engagement of outside counsel or experts, when necessary, and interpreting legal requirements. The Assistant Director must ensure that General Motors retains a globally consistent position on key customs topics (e.g., valuation) during any controversies or appeals. Additionally, the Assistant Director will be responsible for drafting all U.S. Customs appeals and disclosures.
Complex contract review: The Assistant Director will provide trusted advice and recommendations regarding customs complications in and required contract language for Vehicle and Component Supply & Contract Manufacturing, Engineering Services, Technical License, Co-Development, Joint Venture, CCA, and complex supply chain sourcing legal agreements to business units and partner organizations (e.g., Legal M&A team, Cruise, GPSC Purchasing).
Controls & Compliance COE: The Assistant Director is responsible for setting General Motors Customs compliance policy and managing the overall structure, documentation, validations, and audits while also serving as a partner to business units and teams to support, improve, simplify, and develop processes and controls.
Entry Broker Management COE: The Assistant Director is responsible for ensuring accurate and accessible entry information, external service provider contract tracking/reporting, service provider contract bid and transition process documentation and simplification, and continued automation of these processes.
The Assistant Director reports directly to the General Director – Global Customs.
This position requires a strong leader that is compliance focused, detail-minded, and experienced interpreting legal documents and regulations. Additionally, it requires strong communication skills, project coordination expertise, and the ability to engage successfully at all levels across the company. Key responsibilities include:
- Accountable person for Customs Group knowledge of and compliance with Export regulations.
- Facilitate and host quarterly Export Compliance meetings with Customs Regional Sub-Export Compliance Officers.
- Participate in all Office of Export Compliance meetings.
- Partner with the Office of Export Compliance to develop policies and manage any controversies or violations.
- Provide support and legal guidance to business units when guidance is required or customs controversies arise.
- Ensure consistent global position on key customs topics.
- Engage with Transfer Pricing team to ensure compliance with customs valuation requirements.
- Draft all U.S. Customs appeals and disclosures.
- Select and manage outside counsel and experts, as needed.
- Accountable for timely review and guidance on customs requirements in complex contracts.
- Provide easy to understand, forward-looking, comprehensive customs guidance to business partners, new business lines, and global deployments.
- Draft and publish Memorandum to both customs and business partners.
- Establish and implement the General Motors Customs compliance priorities.
- Oversee all compliance exercises (e.g., Annual Validation, Bi-Annual Questionnaire, Heat Map).
- Partner with global team to ensure continuous improvement and simplification of controls.
- Develop and implement standard customs service provider bid and transition process, documentation, and controls.
- Owner of all Global Customs Policies and Procedures.
- Leverage automation and drive innovation to improve efficiency and accuracy in the Controls & Compliance and Entry Broker Management COEs.
- Provide direct and indirect leadership to a team of customs professional with a focus on development, engagement, and inclusion.
- Juris Doctor, a Master of Laws, or a Doctor of Juridical Science.
- 8+ years of customs compliance experience, with knowledge of admissibility, entry/exports, classification, contract oversight & monitoring, free trade agreements and duty benefit programs, corporate compliance, self-assessment, and valuation.
- 5+ years of proven leadership experience developing high performing teams.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally and globally.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Self-motivated, with strong interpersonal, team, and partnering skills.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and initiate/implement continuous improvement.
- The median level of salary compensation for this role is ($170,000).
- Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance. Benefits:
- Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.