We are looking for an expert Engineer to join our Autonomous Sensor LiDAR Hardware team and help us build the best automated vehicles in the world.
Lead advanced development of new LiDAR concepts to achieve viability for production in support of new Automated Driving features. Broad scope of responsibilities includes components, systems and architectures. Capable of managing and leading numerous projects with high degree of difficulty. Exercises independent judgment, with minimal input from supervisor.
Responsibilities include developing new concepts/technologies, specifying and balancing component and system level requirements, developing, executing, and evaluating components to understand limitations, viability, and system level impact. Lead major engineering projects where a substantial amount of creativity and initiative are involved as well as a high level of independent judgment.
- Develop, test, deploy, or optimize LiDAR systems for Autonomous and ADAS vehicles
- Execute and evaluate sensor prototype testing to understand component design, feature limitations, and technology viability
- Own, improve, and sustain reliable next-gen sensor testing and calibration processes
- Evaluate new sensing technology and determine its impact on overall system performance as well as how it could enable new features and capabilities
- Collaborate with perception, system, architecture and release teams to develop sensing strategy for autonomous vehicles at scale
- Projection of the “wants” and “needs” in order to drive innovation internally and externally
- Ability to translate automated vehicle mission elements into sensing architectures and vehicle integration specifications to optimize sensing suite
- Initial Component Technical Specifications or enhancements. Includes functional/performance requirements and packaging sensitivity points.
- Work with Adv. Design Studio on packaging concepts.
- Create and approve Component Technical Specifications (CTS) & Statement of Work (SOW/SODW) and support sourcing activities and technical reviews
- Will work with the Technical Specialist (Bill of materials Family Owner) to fine tune and implement system requirements, participate in the selection of the right suppliers, and optimize integration into vehicles.
- Lead advanced development projects, develop software and hardware plans, communicate status with stakeholders and peers, and deliver on commitments.
- Lead and execute DFSS and DOE studies to develop best practice guides and implement results.
- Travel as needed
- 2+ years of experience in optical sensing and application. Product execution experience desired.
- Technical knowledge and application experience with LiDAR or LiDAR sub-components, i.e. silicon photonics, detectors, lasers, scanners, signal processing, point cloud analysis or lens design.
- Technical and professional skills in optical sensor design, simulation, testing or development.
- High-level analytical ability where problems are unusual and complex.
- Knowledge of Active Safety/Autonomous systems and components (radars, cameras, LiDAR, ECU)
Education and Training
- Bachelor of Science – Engineering or Physics (required)
- Master of Science – Engineering (preferred)
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.