This is a Hybrid position within our Manufacturing Engineering – Press Center team. The role does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. Commute to Global Technical Center and business travel to GMNA stamping plants as needed.
This is a 7th level or 6th level opportunity depending on qualifications.
An Automated Material Movement Lead Engineer works independently with occasional guidance from supervision. Experienced in the processes of stamping operations, optimizes personnel, material movement, machine utilization and the overall facility process flow. Work is performed in a centralized manufacturing engineering activity where collaboration, creativity, critical thinking, and initiative are exercised, as well as independent judgment.
We have a culture of continuous improvement, where we strive for operational excellence. As an Automated Material Movement Lead Engineer, for the Press Center, you will be responsible for working with your team members and stamping facility leadership on continuous improvement initiatives. You will be part of the team that defines the standards, process flow, and overall facility layout for stamping facilities. You will be responsible for project management providing direction over other engineers or engineering support personnel to complete project activity. You will have the responsibility to directly engage stamping plant and manufacturing engineering leadership on projects and will be accountable for your project finances.
- Lead mobile equipment and automated guided vehicle solutions for the GMNA stamping enterprise. You will have multiple responsibilities supporting the innovation and execution of integrated material handling system projects through benchmarking, design and development, integration (at various sites), and operating practice definition. Examples of such stamping mobile equipment solutions are automated blank delivery vehicles and storage systems, automated stamped part container delivery vehicles and storage systems, and automated die and press system tooling delivery and storage systems.
- Lead interface with the mobile equipment subject matter expert team to ensure GMNA stamping enterprise mobile equipment planning is in place to support yearly non-portfolio investment planning.
- Lead press center activities for vehicle and pedestrian safety systems. You will ensure that equipment specifications fully comprehend benchmark safety systems that enable zero pedestrian and vehicle safety incidents. And, this role benchmarks shop floor pedestrian safety engineered solution best practices and works with their engineering counterparts to identify and implement improvement opportunities.
- Lead GMNA vehicle and pedestrian safety assessment improvements and activities within the GMNA stamping plants. This activity includes management of funding to continuously improve vehicle and pedestrian interaction in the plants to drive yearly improvements.
- Teach and support automated guided vehicle understanding when applied in uses for stamping containers, blanks and parts, by understanding all key interfaces between the press system, automated delivery systems, and people. This role will require bringing together the groups impacted and ensuring the integration of their requirements into the press system, mobile equipment, and container standards to ensure flawless execution of projects.
- Lead stamping flex container activity for the press center. You will ensure that flex container implementation fills the needs of manufacturing operations, by bringing together the affected groups and working through design, build, and operational issues to ensure the long-term effectiveness of this initiative.
- Collaborate to continuously improve standards aligned with the Bill of Equipment (BoE), Bill of Operations (BoO), Bill of Containers (BoC), Bill of Facilities (BoF)
- Collaborate with engineering function subject matter experts, suppliers, plant personnel and others to implement cost reduction, methods, and manufacturing improvements
- Stay abreast of new technology and competitive products
- Participate in stamping plant continuous improvement activities
- Ability to multitask by handling multiple assignments concurrently
Positions primary location in Warren, MI, however, regular engagement and execution of site-specific activities will require travel to assigned stamping facilities within North America during the year. Travel to support such activity normally is 25% and could be higher during vehicle launch timeframes.
Work experience related to all aspects of sheet metal stamping manufacturing – including, but not limited to equipment installation, maintenance tools, material flow, labor contracts, die construction, and stamping facility infrastructure
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly explain complex subjects to a wider audience
- Possess partnership and collaboration skills and learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, take initiative and be self-directed
- Understanding of engineering theory and principles of operation of mechanical/electrical mechanisms (mechanics, hydraulics, and pneumatics)
- Experience in coordinating design & construction activities – preferably in automotive manufacturing facilities
- Demonstrated technical and professional skills in job-related area required
- Experience with project management methodologies to handle budget constraints, varying production schedules and OEM counterparts
- Proficient user of Microsoft Project, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Ability to use CAD systems (ie. AutoCAD, Unigraphics, SolidWorks, etc.)
- Understanding of GM Financial processes and GM Financial investment classifications
Education and Training:
- Preferred - Master’s degree – technical or MBA
- Preferred alternative - BS in Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Electrical Engineering or Applicable Journeymen’s Card with related manufacturing experience
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.