This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. Relocation may be provided.
Big Data Infrastructure and Engineering is seeking motivated individuals with infrastructure and/or platform management background with interest in containerization technologies to fill the role of an Edge Compute Platform Engineer. The Big Data Edge Compute Platform (BDECP) is one of the primary compute engines for GM’s data pipelines. It is managed by the Big Data Infrastructure and Engineering (BDIE) organization within Enterprise Technology Services (ETS). BDECP is a shared services platform built on a Kubernetes foundation which is at the core of GM’s digital transformation supporting Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Mobility and Vehicle Streaming applications. It is a fast-growing environment that consists of both CPU & GPU compute clusters.
You will be responsible for configuring, maintaining and providing support for Kubernetes clusters as well as developing and deploying new platform capabilities and features. You will be required to collaborate with application teams to proactively manage platform health and capacity. An integral part of day to day job of the platform engineer will also be responding to incidents, problem tasks and driving them to resolution.
- Handle day-to-day operations of the Big data edge compute platform
- Execute design, development, and deployment of platform common services through automation
- Collaborate with application teams to facilitate use cases for Kubernetes workload
- Conduct proofs of concept for new technology evaluation and adoption
- Develop sizing & capacity planning for large scale big data platforms
- Periodically evaluate and optimize performance and platform throughput
- Triage, diagnose and remediate platform related issues, support customer issue resolution
Skills and Experience
A core requirement of this role is having an experience or being able to quickly develop expertise in building solutions for a cloud native infrastructure. Hands on experience in some of the following areas will be required. A strong aptitude in learning new skills and curiosity for bleeding edge technologies are essential.
- Expertise in container-based environments (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience with virtualization, software defined technologies (storage, networking) and automation/ infrastructure as code implementations
- Technical expertise on Linux OS and platform configuration management.
- Development experience with Python, Java, and Linux based scripting tools
- Working knowledge of version control systems such as Bitbucket and CI/CD pipeline tools such as Jenkins or Azure DevOps
- Experience with service automation using technologies such as Chef, Ansible or VRA
- Expertise in engineering & configuration, deployment, and operational support/issue resolution
- Ability to multi-task and work collaboratively as part of a cross functional team
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.