Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-3 times per week
Are you a talented Software Engineer who loves creating innovated solutions for real-time streaming and storage of massive amounts of data? Do you like working in a fast-paced environment, and working to solve big data challenges?
General Motors is continuing to innovate on our connected vehicle initiatives, and is transforming the customer and vehicle experience within this space. For us, the future is now – designing and developing hyperscale data and computational systems enabling General Motors connected vehicle and related vehicle data products. We have several openings for Software Engineers within our Big Data space.
What You do
- Actively incubate new technologies and tools for big data initiatives
- Fix and resolve data processing issues
- Engage in application design and data modeling discussions
- Participate in developing and implementing data security policies
- Participate in capacity monitoring and planning
- Build, maintain and execute unit test cases with high coverage
- Work closely with other data and analytics team members to optimize the company’s data systems and pipeline architecture
- Work collaboratively with other Software Developers using Scrum or other Agile methodologies.
What You Need
- 2+ years’ experience delivering Java / JEE Business Solutions
- Exposure to the full software development lifecycle (SDLC)
- 2+ years developing on an RDBMS such as PostgreSQL, MySQL or Oracle
- Developing on Hadoop/Spark preferred
- Exposure to data hygiene routines and models
- Ability to work independently and in a self organized, multifaceted team environment. Can guide team discussion for product and team improvement.
- Deep understanding of highly available distributed systems architecture and development
- Full software development life-cycle experience with CICD and thorough testing prior to release.
- Solid Understanding of Agile and Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- 4-year College degree preferably in computer science, Computer or Electrical engineering, information systems, mathematics, data analytics or statistics or equivalent experience
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.