At BrightDrop, we are reshaping e-commerce by developing smarter, greener, and more efficient ways to deliver goods and services to your door, while delivering a brighter future for the cities where we live. We are building an ecosystem of all-electric, zero-emissions delivery solutions – from electric vehicles, to ePallets and software that leverages real-time data to drive intelligent optimizations for e-commerce. To deliver on our mission we are growing fast and building a team, based in Palo Alto, with offices in Atlanta and Detroit, that is customer-focused, agile and passionate about innovating for a more sustainable future.
From engineering to product management and operations, BrightDrop is looking for people who can combine a passion for technology and sustainability with high doses of curiosity and rigorous thinking to deliver a better future.
Backed by General Motors, BrightDrop is striving to improve the communities where we live and deliver a better future for generations to come. We hope you’ll join us.
As Head of Data Science and Engineering, you will lead strategy and execution for BrightDrop’s data and analytics initiatives. Our customers measure success and continuously optimize through deep, real-time insights from their operations. The team you build and lead will deliver those key insights to our last-mile delivery customers in order to maximize their operational potential. You will apply your experience in big data, analytics, algorithmic and/or machine learning approaches to extract meaningful insights from BrightDrop’s all-electric, last mile ecosystem of solutions.
- Define data collection, analytics and insights strategies
- Grow a strong team of Data Scientists and Data Engineers
- Architect and build data pipelines to support the needs of predictive modeling and analytics.
- Ensure data quality, availability, integrity and consistency in order to deliver both real-time visibility and deep analytics over time
- Work with the Security team to establish and ensure data security, access control, auditability, traceability and retention policies and execution
- Work with the Product team to define and harvest powerful data insights at scale
- Engage with cross functional teams to find opportunities to create a unique competitive data driven product
- Roll up your sleeves and perform data science operations with the team
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in data science, engineering, mathematics, statistics/applied statistics, economics, computer science or related quantitative field
- 5+ years managing Data Science and Data Engineering teams
- 8+ years of industry experience in data science, data engineering or data insights
- Experience building a highly engaged and productive DS and/or DE team
- Experience with big data and data sets containing low-frequency, high-severity dependent variables
- Track record solving complex data science problems at scale
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.