BrightDrop, we are reshaping e-commerce by developing smarter, greener, and more efficient ways to deliver goods and services to your door, while delivering a brighter future for the cities where we live. We are building an ecosystem of all-electric, zero-emissions delivery solutions – from electric vehicles, to ePallets and software that leverages real-time data to drive intelligent optimizations for e-commerce. To deliver on our mission we are growing fast and building a team, based in Palo Alto, with offices in Atlanta and Detroit, that is customer-focused, agile and passionate about innovating for a more sustainable future.
From engineering to product management and operations, BrightDrop is looking for people who can combine a passion for technology and sustainability with high doses of curiosity and rigorous thinking to deliver a better future.
Backed by General Motors, BrightDrop is striving to improve the communities where we live and deliver a better future for generations to come. We hope you’ll join us.
Our BrightDrop System Safety team is currently seeking Product Safety Engineers to be the primary point of contact for product safety discussions and decisions for stand-alone and integrated first and last mile non-vehicle delivery products and devices, including our Trace electric carts and loading systems. The position requires providing consistent and timely execution of our evolving System Safety processes, including the development of requirements and analysis, as well as support to integration and validation activities. We are looking for innovative, highly energetic, technically inclined people who have strong attention to detail. We are looking for individuals who can work with high-performing, dynamic teams in an agile development environment.
- Drive functional and physical system safety analysis, hazard identification, and risk mitigation efforts using both qualitative and quantitative methods
- Decompose the top-level system functions and behaviors into a set of hardware and software safety requirements that detail expected end-to-end system behavior to implement a holistic safety strategy
- Partner closely with cross-functional teams to develop and deploy a safety strategy that balances feature availability and performance
- Collaborate with suppliers to facilitate timely delivery of safety-related system content, including technical design, potential failure modes and hardware/software testing results
- Support definition of the validation and verification plan for functional and physical safety requirements that evaluates system-level and end-to-end product implementation
- Perform research to help define qualitative and quantitative criteria for functional and physical safety of products
- Analyze safety-related data from testing and customer usage to support data-driven recommendations for product safety metrics, requirements and improvements
- Mentor organizational partners on safety critical system and process-specific knowledge, working with Senior System Safety Engineers as needed
- Travel as needed (10-20% max)
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering (mechanical, electrical, computer, aerospace) or another related engineering degree
- 3+ years of proven post-graduation engineering experience and execution of responsibilities related to areas such as product safety, system safety and/or systems engineering
- Ability to understand multiple end-to-end product safety aspects, Safety of the Intended Function (SOTIF), operational safety and human-machine interactions
- Ability to collaborate with diverse teams
- Ability to simultaneously balance/support numerous projects with competing priorities
- Master’s Degree
- 5+ years of engineering experience performing safety analysis on safety-related systems in non-automotive industries (e.g., consumer electronics, military, medical, aviation, transportation, delivery / logistics)
- Demonstrated experience of with functional safety, including hands-on execution of safety requirement development and risk analysis techniques
- Previous proven engineering experience in areas such as:
- Control system hardware/software
- Use of embedded controllers
- Propulsion, power, battery, charging and/or thermal systems
- Software design/development
- Lifting and closure mechanisms
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with unprecedented, highly innovative product solutions, where ambiguity and iteration are commonplace
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal savvy to facilitate effective collaboration between differing organizations
- Experience leading projects executed using both waterfall and agile development methods
- Familiarity with transportation safety standards and regulations
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.