BrightDrop, we are reshaping e-commerce by developing smarter, greener, and more efficient ways to deliver goods and services to your door, while delivering a brighter future for the cities where we live. We are building an ecosystem of all-electric, zero-emissions delivery solutions – from electric vehicles, to ePallets and software that leverages real-time data to drive intelligent optimizations for e-commerce. To deliver on our mission we are growing fast and building a team, based in Palo Alto, with offices in Atlanta and Detroit, that is customer-focused, agile and passionate about innovating for a more sustainable future.
From engineering to product management and operations, BrightDrop is looking for people who can combine a passion for technology and sustainability with high doses of curiosity and rigorous thinking to deliver a better future.
Backed by General Motors, BrightDrop is striving to improve the communities where we live and deliver a better future for generations to come. We hope you’ll join us.
Our BrightDrop System Safety team is currently seeking a Safety Integration Engineer to be the primary point of contact for product safety integration and verification/validation discussions and decisions for multiple stand-alone and integrated first and last mile non-vehicle delivery products and devices, including our Trace electric carts and loading systems.
The position is responsible for ensuring that the development of our products is safe for the end-user in support of all program phases, from testing through development to production. This position requires providing consistent and timely execution of our evolving System Safety processes. We are looking for innovative, highly energetic, technically inclined people who have strong attention to detail and enjoy hands-on interactions with internal and external stakeholders. We are looking for individuals who can work with high-performing, dynamic teams in an agile development environment, as well as people who are interested in cultivating and improving product safety policies, processes and testing.
- Support definition of the validation and verification plan for safety requirements that evaluates all safety aspects as part of end-to-end product implementation
- Support review of validation and verification results to ensure adherence to safety requirements
- Review all safety documentation provided for product development and certify completeness in accordance with established safety processes
- Lead development of final product safety cases
- Establish overall product safety usage criteria for testing, development, and production phases
- Develop processes, procedures, and training as part of risk mitigation for safe product operation
- Ensure user adherence to product usage safety processes and policies based on product phase
- Adapt product safety usage process and evaluation to meet product-specific demands
- Partner closely with the cross-functional teams to meet development and production timing
- Identify and resolve timing and resource gaps between product team and safety needs
- Travel as needed (5-10% max)
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering (mechanical, electrical, computer, aerospace, industrial) or another related engineering degree
- 3+ years of proven post-graduation engineering experience and execution of responsibilities related to areas such as product safety, integration and/or validation
- Ability to understand multiple end-to-end product safety aspects, including functional and physical safety; Safety of the Intended Function (SOTIF), operational safety; and human-machine interactions
- Ability to collaborate with diverse teams
- Ability to simultaneously balance/support numerous projects with competing priorities
- Master’s Degree
- 5+ years of engineering experience performing integration activities for safety-related systems in non-automotive industries (e.g., consumer electronics, military, medical, aviation, transportation, delivery / logistics)
- Previous proven engineering experience in areas such as:
- Control system hardware/software
- Use of embedded controllers
- Propulsion, power, battery, charging and/or thermal systems
- Software design/development
- Lifting and closure mechanisms
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with unprecedented, highly innovative product solutions, where ambiguity and iteration are commonplace
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal savvy to facilitate effective collaboration between organizations
- Experience with consumer product safety and related standards
- Experience with providing onsite customer service for product operation and safety concerns
- Familiarity with transportation and/or OSHA safety standards and regulations
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.