At BrightDrop, we are reshaping e-commerce by developing smarter, greener, and more efficient ways to deliver goods and services to your door, while delivering a brighter future for the cities where we live. We are building an ecosystem of all-electric, zero-emissions delivery solutions – from electric vehicles, to ePallets and software that leverages real-time data to drive intelligent optimizations for e-commerce. To deliver on our mission we are growing fast and building a team, based in Palo Alto, with offices in Atlanta and Detroit, that is customer-focused, agile and passionate about innovating for a more sustainable future.
From engineering to product management and operations, BrightDrop is looking for people who can combine a passion for technology and sustainability with high doses of curiosity and rigorous thinking to deliver a better future.
Backed by General Motors, BrightDrop is striving to improve the communities where we live and deliver a better future for generations to come. We hope you’ll join us. https://www.gobrightdrop.com/
What you get to do in this role:
As the UX Research Manager, you will lead a team and work hands-on to create experiences that customers find powerful and users love. The BrightDrop delivery experience ranges from smart, connected electric vehicles to powered carts that move smaller payloads, all linked with software that spans web, mobile, and in-vehicle devices.
Your research team will help create compelling and useful experiences across all these systems, for people from operations managers and delivery drivers to the general public. There’s a field team in place that has proven excellence in carrying out pilot tests at large scale. We’re looking to build the rest of our research capability, including qualitative methods, usability testing of hardware and software, and smart use of analytics.
As a member of the UX group, you’ll work with digital UX and HMI designers, hardware and software engineers, vehicle and industrial designers, and product and sales teams. We’re ramping up our field research with customers as well as hands-on prototyping and testing capabilities in Palo Alto, and you’ll be key to making that happen.
- Provide leadership, coaching, and direction for a team of researchers across different disciplines and various levels of experience.
- Work with UX designers, product managers, engineers, and sales managers to prioritize research opportunities. Develop and own the research roadmap.
- Establish best practices and scalable processes for user research, including formative research, competitive benchmarking, prototype evaluation, usability studies, and field evaluation of products at customer sites.
- Coordinate research across multiple locations and engineering groups.
- Help determine and validate product feature sets for hardware (electric vehicles and carts) and software (web, mobile, and in-vehicle apps).
- Create processes for customer feedback.
- Collaborate with data analysts to establish quantitative metrics and benchmarks for product improvement.
- Use in-person and online tools for testing.
- Manage external research vendors as needed.
- Experience in leading researchers and building research capacity.
- Expert-level skills writing user journeys, HMI requirements and standards, and architecting functional flows.
- At least 7 years of qualitative and quantitative research experience.
- Experience communicating objectives and desired outcomes with hardware and software engineers, digital UX designers, industrial designers, and product teams.
- A track record of delivering excellent user experience across hardware and software.
Great to have:
- Understanding of in-vehicle driver distraction, engineering guidelines, and methods for evaluating human workload.
- Ergonomics experience.
- Experience with rapid fabrication and prototyping methods.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.