This position does not require an employee to be onsite full-time to perform most effectively. The employee's role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-3 times per week.
Our team is looking for a Virtual Engine Calibration Engineer! This individual will be responsible for tasks and deliverables throughout the entire vehicle development lifecycle including requirements definition, calibration design and implementation, testing, and problem resolution. Typical functions will involve developing engine controls calibrations using model-based calibration methods supporting Engine Calibration Specialists and Calibration Technical Specialists. This position offers the opportunity to lead very broad/numerous projects with high degree of difficulty and exercise independent judgement and decision making.
- Generate Design of Experiments (DoE) for engine dynamometer to run necessary measurement data
- Use tools to generate values for calibrations from measured data
- Use engine models (GT-Power) to generate calibration values
- Develop new and innovative analytical techniques to generate calibration values from models – or minimal test data
- Use of CAE Tools, including MATLAB, Simulink, Python and GT-Power to create calibrations
- Coordinate requirements development with other functional organizations
- Validate new models to physical results on dyno or in vehicle
- Provide support to other engineers for root cause analysis
- Identify and document system vulnerabilities and build mitigation action plans; track corrective actions
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Physics or a related Engineering degree
- Minimum of 2 years of post-graduate engineering/technical experience
- Ability to read C++ code and gain understanding of controls and diagnostic algorithms
- Experience using empirical modeling, optimization techniques (MATLAB MBC / ETAS ASCMO / GM SIM)
- Experience with handling large, multi-variable datasets
- Highly proficient in delivering high quality analysis results which enable first time capable calibrations
- Highly proficient in leading capability growth projects to develop new analytical techniques
- Masters of Science or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Aerospace Engineering
- 2+ years experience with CAE Tools, including MATLAB, Simulink, Python and GT-Power
- Gasoline, Diesel, Transmission, or Electrification knowledge and experience
- Engine, transmission, or electrification calibration and controls experience
- Engine, transmission, or electrification testing and development experience
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult
- High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and effectively with others
- Thorough understanding and skills to work at high level in all phases of the vehicle development process
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.