The Ultium Cell Performance System Engineer will work on groundbreaking battery cell technology for GM’s future electrified vehicles. In this role you'll develop and own the standard cell performance requirements of the next generation of Ultium cell. You'll work closely with Battery New Products team to implement cell-to pack- strategies. You'll also collaborate with cell engineering/analytics team to assure new cell design performance findings are being comprehended.
This Role Offers the Following Work Appropriately Strategy:
Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-4 x per year.
- Work with cell engineering team through Advanced Technical Work (ATW) projects and with suppliers to analyze process and performance data
- Perform analysis of physical and virtual data to synthesize and allocate requirements
- Develop, apply methods and analytical tools as required for the tasks
- Develop requirements for high voltage traction battery cell with emphasis on performance (electrical power, thermal)
- Collaborate with new products team to develop interface control documents for cell to pack strategy
- Develop component and sub system specification templates for Ultium cell
- Responsible for tasks and deliverables throughout the cell and RESS development lifecycle including requirements definition, system analysis, design, testing, and problem resolution
- Lead engineering workgroups to develop and optimize requirements
- Strong ability to analyze empirical data and identify interdependencies
- Design tests to efficiently identify opportunities for design improvements
- Keep abreast of industry trends, technologies, and best practices
- Identify and document system vulnerabilities and create mitigation action plans; track corrective actions.
- Learn and grow Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) capability
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering
- Two years of engineering experience
- Technical knowledge and experience in relevant engineering disciplines (e.g. Electrochemistry Based Energy Storage, DC and AC Power, Materials, Thermal, EMC, Control Theory)
- Experience or knowledge of relevant tools (e.g.: Matlab, Simulink, R, Python)
- Demonstrate excellent level of analytical ability, communication and interpersonal skills required to build relationships with team members and customers to solve problems and resolve issues.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple and significantly complex projects and assignments with high level of autonomy and accountability for results
- Proven ability in project management skills and ability to teach others
- Strong understanding of major automotive subsystems
- Statistical Background and Certifications
- Prior experience or knowledge in CAE, testing of batteries
- Experience or knowledge of relevant tools (e.g.: Rhapsody, IBM Change Synergy, IBM Rational Team Concert, Siemens NX)
- Experience with and/or knowledge of Lithium-ion battery technologies (e.g. Vehicle battery systems, high voltage hardware)
- DFSS Black Belt
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.