Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
In this exciting and visible role, you will be responsible and accountable for the design, implementation, configuration, and successful transition to Operations of technologies in the assigned domain. This will include following standard installation recommendations, configuring the technologies to match the needs of the function being served, and delivering to project schedules. For this GM position, we expect you to have advanced mastery to function independently for day to day tasks. The role requires working with several technical teams to rationalize throughput and sizing demand to define efficient and effective solutions that bring together technologies from all areas. In this position you will often be an assigned technical resource to numerous project teams simultaneously. You will be required to work with numerous teams and balance competing requests, while meeting project deadlines. Additional responsibilities might include monitoring, performing maintenance, troubleshooting, and implementing corrective actions in support of continuing operations of the assigned domain.
- The role is accountable to work with project teams to develop robust system designs that meet the criteria for functionality, stability, performance and resiliency to deliver effective IT solutions for our business.
- Duties include working on numerous project teams, often as the sole system management engineer, to develop requirements, obtain information from other support groups, execute project tasks, deliver systems, and provide support through the lifecycle of the project.
- Responsibilities include ensuring IT standards are met, production readiness processes are followed, and a quality system product is delivered and turned over to Production Support personnel.
- The role may also be called upon for escalation of real-time incidents. Responsibilities include advising junior staff in appropriate steps to diagnose, repair or remediate issues with systems in the assigned.
- Holds themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors. Models GM behaviors and creates a winning culture. Performs other related duties as assigned
- The role requires expert knowledge of technologies in the assigned domain, robust knowledge of general IT concepts. Thorough knowledge of system design principles to include reliability, availability, scalability, Knowledge of peripheral domains is necessary. Extensive knowledge of how to leverage available resources to solve problems and deliver solutions.
- Support and enhance GM business-critical PaaS environments
- Install, configure, integrate, deploy, upgrade, and manage PaaS infrastructure, including but not limited to the following environments: Cloud Foundry, Kubernetes, Concourse, and Containers
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues for managed software and aid in application integration for PaaS solutions
- Identify opportunities for automation and/or create scripts for automating recurring tasks
- Act as a liaison with solution providers on technical issues and updates
- Create and document technical processes for use by L1&L2 support teams
- Interact and communicate with all levels of an organization including different solution delivery verticals
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the following:
- Experience with Automation Tools (Concourse/vRO)
- Hands on experience with container orchestration such as Cloud Foundry, Kubernetes, GCP, Azure, etc.
- Hands on experience in configuration, change control, and source control
(preferable GIT) for configurations, scripts and settings
- Experience with log management software i.e. VMWare Log Insight, Elastic, etc.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- The ability to remain calm under pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Pivotal Cloud Foundry or BOSH experience
- Hands on experience with Cloud Foundry and/or Kubernetes
- Experience scripting in Unix shell, Java, Python, SQL or Ruby
- Understanding of a Global Traffic Manager and Load Balancers
- Understanding of Firewalls and GM Security Zones
- Understanding of security related concepts/concerns within a full stack web application
- Previous development experience (Java, NodeJS, .NET, etc.) is a plus
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.