Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
The Enterprise Technology Services (ETS) organization is seeking a systems engineer for the configuration, secrets, and automation management tools team. ETS provides a broad set of technology products and services to the GM IT organization. The configuration, secrets, and automation management tools team is pivotal to our ability to provide these products and services in secure, hardened configurations. Configuration, secrets, and automation management tools enable the optimization of configuration hardening and desired configuration/policy management. The systems engineer will collaborate with the team to develop, deploy, and enhance robust configuration management and infrastructure-as-code solutions. They will work with a team of talented engineers and foster a culture based on GM’s values and behaviors, which emphasize integrity, innovation, forward-thinking, accountability, and inclusivity. The ETS configuration, secrets, and automation management tools team has already established an impressive portfolio of capabilities that have transformed IT, but it has just scratched the surface of what’s possible. We are looking for an engaged, high-energy team member with a broad set of experience to help carry the team forward as we work towards GM’s vision.
- Help make IT more secure by leveraging configuration management and infrastructure-as -code capabilities to ensure our systems are secure and appropriately configured
- Optimize our secrets management solutions with automation focused on stability and reduction of toil to ensure they are highly available with minimal operations overhead
- Contribute to a team culture based on GM’s values and behaviors
- Participate in Agile-based planning activities and work plan management to ensure appropriate prioritization of work
- Collaborate with partner teams in pursuit of mutual goals
- Help manage the compliance for internal systems and platforms
- Help manage the technology roadmap for internal systems and platforms to ensure compliance to standards
- Provide level 2 escalation support for platform operations
- Excellent collaboration skills with stakeholders and users
- Demonstrated strong strategic thinking; able to project possibilities beyond user requirements
- Ability to build high quality, collaborative relationships with partner teams
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent experience
- 5 or more years of experience using Agile planning concepts and methods
- 5 years or more of experience with Linux administration
- System installation and configuration
- Network & storage configuration
- Shell scripting
- Performance tuning/troubleshooting
- 3-5 years of experience building infrastructure-as-code or secrets management solutions in a cross-functional capacity
- 3-5 years of experience managing tools such as Chef Infra
- Cookbook and recipe construction
- Test Kitchen integration to VMWare
- Administration of front-end, back-end, and data movers
- Administration of Chef-integrated Elastic, PostgreSQL
- 5 years or more of experience in IT infrastructure or application design or operations support is desirable
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.