VMEC, Vehicle Motion Embedded Controls, is hiring Controller Integration Engineers. This is a production level group that supports the definition, design, development of continuously improving software for control strategies, diagnostics, and controller communication. This means that you can potentially put a fingerprint on the vehicles that drive down the road! This space is ripe with technical leadership opportunities for advanced technology development as well as the ability to provide mentorship for new employees. Are you ready to flex your teamwork muscles ? You will be tasked with working with several other areas of engineering and the business !
We are seeking a creative, highly motivated agile thinker with the passion and technical expertise to be a Controller Integration Engineer on the Autonomous Vehicle Controls team. In this role, you will be based out of GM’s Milford Proving Grounds and work collaboratively with external teams in Canada and California. As a Controller Integration Engineer you will be a responsible for the integration and testing of the embedded controls and provide system level expertise to verify controller operation for troubleshooting vehicle level issues and develop recommend solutions.
- Participate in the planning, design, verification, and release of Autonomous vehicle software using agile principles and methods
- Verify embedded controller functionality on a bench or vehicle using advanced testing methods and tools
- Work with cross functional teams to define thorough and efficient test scenarios
- Automate system level test cases using SIL and HIL assets to develop automated regression testing capability
- Troubleshoot, root cause, and resolve vehicle integration issues including hardware, software, and calibration
- Document hardware and software anomalies and issue change requests
- Create experimental software builds to evaluate potential solutions
- Execute Key Behavior Tests and milestone tests based on program milestones
- Support algorithm development by working with feature owners and calibration engineers to achieve desired system functionality
- Conduct/participate in peer reviews for algorithm, software, and requirement specifications
- Educate, train and mentor new or less experienced Engineers
- Provide onsite support for development trips, assembly plant issues, or field investigations
Minimum Skills and Experience Required:
- BS Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or Computer Science
- 2+ years of experience developing microprocessor-based, real-time control algorithms and software in high level language (e.g. C)
- Working knowledge of the agile Software Development Process
- Interpersonal skills to work effectively with others including global partners
- High level of analytical ability with excellent communication and interpersonal skills which is required to build relationships with team members and other key partners to resolve complex technical issues
- Proficient in performing high quality analysis of software functionality which enable first time capable features being delivered to the vehicle
- Capable leading innovative projects to develop new methods, process, or tools
- Working knowledge of C, C++, or Python and comfortable using software development tools
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to manage multiple assignments with a high level of autonomy and accountability for results while demonstrating appropriate prioritization and planning to deliver on results on schedule
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with vehicle control systems doing development, testing, or calibration
- Experience with simulation tools such as HiL benches (e.g. dSPACE), Simulink, Stateflow, ETAS INCA or Vehicle Spy
- Experience with software quality and debugging tools such as Lauterbach, Parasoft, and CppUnit
- Ability to write a test plan for complex vehicle level features which optimizes coverage while still maintaining efficiency and speed
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.