Our Vehicle Motion Embedded Controls (VMEC) group is looking for Controller System Integration Engineers! This role represents an exciting and challenging leadership position related to the development and launch of embedded controller products (specific to Propulsion control systems). As a CSIE, you will be responsible for creating, communicating, and leading various types of ‘product’ plans and ensuring the on-time delivery of an embedded controller and/or its sub-components.
This role requires a balanced mix of technical engineering skills and leadership skills, where you will have a high level of responsibility with limited formal authority, providing excellent opportunities for developing and honing the skill of influencing others!
The role also places you on a smaller team (5-10) of other CSIEs providing excellent support for learning and growing within the role.
Examples of controller specific responsibilities include:
- Ensure there is an overall project plan for all applications that use the controller and manage program to that plan
- Create and manage the Analysis, Development and Validation plan
- Ensure controller validation ‘CG’ testing plans are built and executed
- Release controller parts to production and service or deploy parts for development
- Act as the primary communication interface between VMEC engineering and the Vehicle Program Team (e.g., chief engineer), the Vehicle Assembly Plants and Customer Care and Aftersales.
- Contribute ideas to a culture and organization that continues to try new ways of working, managing programs, and collaborating.
- Ensure that the product development and release plans are created and implemented in alignment to engineering standard work for the purpose of on-time high quality delivery of VMEC embedded control products.
- Track and report status of work you're doing. Escalate as required and drive team effort to mitigate timing or quality risk.
- Lead and support product issue investigations (Problem Resolution Tracking System – PRTS), continuous process improvements, standard methodologies, lessons learned, and quality improvement initiatives.
- Support standard meetings related to specific responsibilities (e.g. Software Execution Team Meeting or Controller Integration Team Meeting)
- Provide technical leadership ensuring issue resolution and appropriate technical direction for products of responsibility.
- Train, coach, mentor other team members in areas of strong proficiency.
- Bachelor's degree in one of the following engineering areas: Electrical, Computer, Computer Science, Mechanical, Chemical or Mathematics
- Minimum 2+ years of experience in some of the embedded controls development areas such as: controller hardware design, sensor and actuator design, algorithm design, software development, calibration, integration, testing and validation, electrical architecture design, etc.
- A solid foundation in at least a few of these skills: taking initiative, working towards results, solving problems and analyzing issues particularly where the problems are unusual and sophisticated, dealing with ambiguity, planning and organizing including shown skills in project management, building relationships, collaboration and teamwork, critical thinking, experience leading meetings
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.