“Some openings may be remote positions where the selected candidate can reside and perform the work from anywhere within the United States.”
VMEC, Vehicle Motion Embedded Controls, is hiring Controls Design Engineers. This is a production level group that supports the definition, design, development of continuously improving software for control strategies, diagnostics, and controller communication. This means that you can potentially put a fingerprint on the vehicles that drive down the road! This space is ripe with technical leadership opportunities for advanced technology development as well as the ability to provide mentorship for new employees. Are you ready to flex your teamwork muscles ? You will be tasked with working with several other areas of engineering and the business !
We are seeking creative, highly motivated, agile problem solvers with passion and expertise in Controls with great attention to detail. The selected candidate will develop controls and diagnostics using appropriate, common methods for VMEC features and support the growth capabilities to keep us at the forefront of emerging technology in the respective areas such as development of Gasoline Engine, Hybrid Operation, Chassis Control, Transmission, Battery Charging and High Voltage Automotive System applications.
- Define controls and diagnostics subsystem level requirements that:
- Ensure compliance to safety and government regulations while developing GM-internal best practices.
- Meet higher level physics-based requirements with efficient designs using modeling, simulation, data collection, and analysis.
- Develop controls-oriented model:
- Selection of the appropriate method to control and/or diagnose a given feature
- Consideration for system characteristics and constraints with input from multi-functional team
- Help define calibration strategies and promote model-based practices in algorithm strategies and calibrations
- Support resolution of vehicle, plant, or customer issues related to controls and calibration
- Help build tools, libraries, and training material to enable capability growth and support learning of the team
- Mentor new employees to help increase capabilities and share knowledge
- Travel as required
Minimum Required Skills and Experience:
- BS in Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent degree.
- Minimum 2+ years Engineering experience with preferred working experience related to embedded controls and/or controls/software development
- Skilled with one or more of the following: Simulink, MATLAB, DOORS, GIT environment(s); plant modeling and analysis tools
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with sometimes incomplete requirements
- High level of analytical problem-solving skills where problems are unusual and difficult
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects and assignments with a high level of autonomy and accountability for results.
- Demonstrated ability to lead multi-functional teams and achieve substantial influence without administrative authority
- Demonstrated honesty, integrity, and trust. Lead by example
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- MS or PhD in Engineering with focus on controls. In depth knowledge of algorithm development and calibration for propulsion system controls.
- Embedded controls development experience
- Sophisticated sub-system integration including design, implementation, and testing
- System Modeling and Simulation (Software, Hardware, Model in-the-loop)
- Controls software development in C Programming
- Vehicle Propulsion, Chassis Control and Battery High Voltage, Vehicle Energy Transfer, Charging and Automotive System knowledge is a plus
Compensation : This position may be filled with a mid-career or senior level professional. The median salary / compensation for both roles are as follows:
Mid-Career Professional – Median salary is $88,667 Senior Career Professional – Median salary is $109,283
Bonus Potential : An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.