The Controls Systems Engineer is an Individual contributor with recognized expertise responsible for tasks and work you're doing throughout the entire vehicle development lifecycle including requirements definition, systems design and implementation, testing, and problem resolution.
- Specification, design, estimation, hardware/software integration, installation, commissioning, troubleshooting, cost control and documentation of automation/machine control systems
- Provide direction and oversight to outside suppliers
- Support Tip process in Stamping and IMN
- Provide engineering direction and support to production
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience as a Controls Engineer or Automation Engineer
- Strong technical knowledge of electrical/control systems and the ability to apply these concepts within a manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated basic understanding of mechanical concepts involving machine designs, process requirements involved in the manufacturing process
- Ability to assist in all aspects of improvement projects relating to machine controls, vision and automation within the manufacturing areas
- Knowledge of injection molding processes
- Experienced in PLC and HMI programming and Ethernet Networks
- Knowledge of servo motors, motion control, motor drives, and vision inspection systems
- Knowledge of hydraulic and pneumatic systems relative to automation/machine control
- Demonstrated ability to manage challenging projects and assignments with high level of autonomy and accountability for results
- Demonstrates initiative by reaching beyond work assigned to improve output and/or help others
- Proficiency in interpretation of engineering drawings, and wiring diagrams
- Experience with Stamping presses and automation
- Some travel may be required (5%) Basic Preferred
- Fanuc IR Vision machine vision products
- Experience with Krauss Maffei mold press and Fanuc automation
- General knowledge of Fascia assembly process and controls
- Prior work experience as a controls engineer in automotive manufacturing
- Knowledge of GM’s global controls architecture Completion of multiple engineering projects with successful individual achievements or strong team-based achievements
- Experience in controls relating to welding plastic
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.