The Controls Systems Engineer is an Individual contributor with recognized expertise responsible for tasks and work you're doing throughout the entire vehicle development lifecycle including requirements definition, systems design and implementation, testing, and problem resolution.
- Procure/launch new and major programs for controls engineering
- Maintain working contacts with vendors, GM IT, other internal engineering disciplines and management at plant and headquarters
- Diagnose and correct deficiencies in manufacturing processes
- Stay abreast of new controls technology, including robotics, computer graphics, and computer controls (CNC, PLC, PC, HMI, networks)
- Support deployment of new technology to minimize risks
- Evaluate manufacturing processes and equipment
- Perform simultaneous engineering activities with ME and equipment supplier representatives
- Support the development of ME error proofing plans
- Participate in safety g-Risk activities with cross functional group
- Support approval controls drawings and conducts controls run-offs at OEM site
- Solve / assist operational problems as required
- Support & actively interact with manufacturing operations group
- Support deployment of best common systems and methods as defined in the PT Global Controls Bill of Process
- Continuously improve quality, cost, responsiveness & safety
Additional Job Description:
- Technical knowledge and ability in process engineering disciplines
- Experience with Rockwell Automation or Siemens PLC and HMI's
- Demonstrates initiative by reaching beyond work assigned to improve output and/or help others
- Proven ability in project management skills
- GM Global Common Controls Architecture
- Fanuc Robot Programming experience
- CNC experience
- Cognex and Matrox Vision System Programming experience
Education and Training
- College degree with major in electrical engineering or equivalent controls engineering experience or equivalent experience
- Electrical Engineering Degree or Mechatronics degree preferred, or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in industrial networking protocols – Profibus, Profinet, TCP/IP and EthernetIP
- HMI software – Siemens WinCC and TIA Portal, and Rockwell FactoryTalk View
- PLC hardware – Rockwell ControlLogix family, Siemens 300, and Fanuc LEP
- Servo drive systems: Siemens 840D CNC, Siemens G120 family, Fanuc 35i CNC, and Rockwell Powerflex / Kinetix
- This position will require overtime and off-shift production support at times.
- Fanuc Robots - programming and troubleshooting is highly desirable, but not required.
FOR GM INTERNAL CANDIDATES: This role is posted at both the 6th and 7th level. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidate’s relevant experience and whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.