***Please note, you must submit a Portfolio to be considered for this position – See Instructions Below***
***Current High School Student graduating Spring 2022; prior to start date at GM, students must apply and be accepted to Macomb Community College***
General Purpose of Position:
Expose qualified candidates to creative careers at General Motors and identify talent for direct positions in creative clay/digital sculpting at Design. The individual will gain an understanding of the aesthetic judgments, technology, production methods, program timelines and materials used in automotive clay/digital sculpting.
This role offers the following Work Appropriately strategies:
- Onsite: This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Work collaboratively with Design, Sculpting and Engineering to interpret sketches and develop clay/digital models of a future automotive theme using established and emerging clay/digital sculpting best practices and techniques. Present finished models to Design and Sculpting Leadership. Support general sculpting assignments within studio environment.
The candidates for the Creative Sculpting Co Op program will work directly with the clay and digital sculpting training team, at General Motors, to develop the skills and behaviors expected as a member of the Design organization. Students will work in teams while developing individual capabilities as a creative sculptor in an environment focused on shared experience, collaboration, and inclusion.
The clay training will be accomplished through in person hands on training on both scale and full-size clay models in classroom and studio settings. The candidates will learn the basics of packing the clay on a model, proportion, line work and surfacing. Areas of focus will be both technical modeling and interpretive sketch to 3-D model development.
The digital training will include both classroom and remote learning. The focus will be on Alias and its use in the creation of digital models to support the clay models, leadership reviews and math releases to engineering.
Candidates will start with the basics of the software functionality and move on to the creation of lines and surface. Developing workflows and data management will be covered as the students become more familiar with the Alias package.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates creative ability with supporting 2D/3D portfolio.
- Basic understanding of design and sculpting principals including proportion, line and surface
- Basic understanding of 3D Computer Modeling/Animation skills
- Alias, MAYA, Rhino/Grasshopper or Unigraphics/NX software
- Effective oral and written communications skills
- Proficient interpersonal skills to work effectively in a collaborative team environment
- Proactive regarding task completion
- Follows studio safety guidelines
- Basic understanding of current design trends
Education and Training:
- Required: 2022 High School Diploma or equivalent
- Prior to start date at GM, students must apply and be accepted to Macomb Community College
- Preferred: Past participation in the General Motors’ You Make a Difference Program (YMAD)
- Students will work full-time at General Motors Design Center and must take courses concurrently at Macomb Community College
- Automotive Sculpting Certificate courses will be taken at Macomb Community College.
- This co-op program consists of 6 courses that equal 24 credits over 4 semesters taken at Macomb Community College
- Students must provide own transportation to and from school and work.
- Housing and transportation will not be provided
PORTFOLIO SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
- To be considered for this position, you will need to submit a portfolio in addition to your resume and Workday profile. We strongly recommend linking your online portfolio in the "website" section of the application as we can access much larger files that way. If your portfolio is not available online, please follow the instructions below to upload your portfolio as a separate attachment as you did with the resume. Please NO dropbox files or Google docs.
1. Save your portfolio as a pdf document
2. Name your portfolio your LAST NAME, FIRST NAME. Example: Candidate name is John Smith. Portfolio pdf file name is: Smith, John.pdf
3. Upload as an attachment - you may have to condense the file.
- Example: 10 – 20 images spread out over 5 – 20 pages. We are looking to see your breadth of artistic talent, samples of all mediums you create art in, focused on any subject matter.
- DISCLAIMER: The Works included in your Career Portfolio must not be subject to any non-disclosure and/or confidentiality agreement. If the Works in your Career Portfolio are owned by your current or former employer, or by any other Third Party, there must be an express written consent from the Owner allowing the Works to be included in your Career Portfolio for sharing with General Motors (“GM”). By sharing your Career Portfolio, you grant to GM the right to quote, paraphrase, reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use all or any portion of the Career Portfolio for purposes of making a hiring determination. By sharing your Career Portfolio, you also agree to release and discharge GM, and its licensees, successors, and assigns, from any and all claims, demands, or causes of action that you may have regarding any use of the Career Portfolio, including (but not limited to) any claims based on the right to privacy, the right to publicity, copyright, libel, defamation, or any other right.
- PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.