Are you a highly creative designer who is interested in being part of one of the most exciting advanced design studios in the world? GM Design has opportunities for exterior designers who are interested in stretching the boundaries of automotive design at our North Hollywood California studio. Our organization will soon be moving to a larger, state-of-the-art facility in Pasadena where we will have even more capability to affect the future.
As a Creative Designer at GM Advanced Design, you will be part of a larger, connected, global design team working on forward-thinking, extraordinary EV and AV concepts for Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer and Buick.
We are looking for someone who thrives in a team environment and displays a strong ability to manage multiple tasks and timelines. We need someone with a considerable amount of perception, strategic thinking, design taste, judgment and creativity as well as a high level of talent and skill.
Your role will be to see the future - researching, designing and creating proposals that demonstrate innovative concepts, from inception to implementation. You will create fresh, innovative designs for exteriors for electrified vehicles. Through a strategic lens, you will generate concepts in both 2D and 3D proposals. You will adeptly refine ideas as you receive feedback. You will coordinate with the work of other design personnel and collaborate with multiple partners to achieve design goals. You will follow the design process from initial sketch form to the final release.
If you are driven and eager to propel your career forward, take your next step in joining a world class design studio at General Motors!
This position is primarily onsite but there is some room for flexibility based on our Work Appropriately model.
***Please note, you must submit a Portfolio to be considered for this position – See Instructions Below***
In this position, you will:
- Create unique exterior designs and concepts for production vehicles and other mobility products through sketches as well as digitally through the use of 2D and 3D technology
- Collaborate frequently with the design team, sculpting organization, engineering and fabrication teams in the development of new designs
- Take a big-picture perspective on customer needs and future transportation to create provocative concepts and designs
- Provide insight and recommendations to leadership while possessing willingness and acuity to act upon guidance in a deadline driven environment
- Maintain knowledge of current design trends and technology. Present ideas frequently to management and leadership to communicate design ideas
- Exhibit courage and challenge expectations
Basic Required Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design (Automotive, Transportation, Industrial, Product, Exterior or Graphic Design or Architecture)
- Strong understanding of 3D form and excellent 2D drawing and illustration skills
- Proven creative proficiency
- Demonstrated ability with electronic tools to communicate 2-D ideations
This role is posted at both the 6th and 7th level. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidate’s relevant experience and whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility.
PORTFOLIO SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
To be considered for this position, you will need to submit a portfolio in addition to your resume and profile. We strongly recommend linking your online portfolio in the "website" section of the application as we are able to access much larger files that way. If your portfolio is not available online, please follow the instructions below to upload your portfolio as a separate attachment as you did with the resume. Please NO dropbox files or Google docs.
1. Save your portfolio as a pdf document
2. Name your portfolio your LAST NAME, FIRST NAME. Example: Candidate name is John Smith. Portfolio pdf file name is: Smith, John.pdf
3. Upload as an attachment - you may have to condense the file.
DISCLAIMER: The Works included in your Career Portfolio must not be subject to any non-disclosure and/or confidentiality agreement. If the Works in your Career Portfolio are owned by your current or former employer, or by any other Third Party, there must be an express written consent from the Owner allowing the Works to be included in your Career Portfolio for sharing with General Motors (“GM”). By sharing your Career Portfolio, you grant to GM the right to quote, paraphrase, reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use all or any portion of the Career Portfolio for purposes of making a hiring determination. By sharing your Career Portfolio, you also agree to release and discharge GM, and its licensees, successors, and assigns, from any and all claims, demands, or causes of action that you may have regarding any use of the Career Portfolio, including (but not limited to) any claims based on the right to privacy, the right to publicity, copyright, libel, defamation, or any other right.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.