The role will allow employees to work remotely but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to live a commutable distance to the innovation center they are selected for. Relocation will be provided as needed.
Are you interested in working with peers that are passionate about Data Architecture, Governance, Modeling, and Engineering?
There has never been a better time to work for General Motors IT!
In recent years, GM Information Technology has successfully executed the largest IT transformation in the history of the automotive industry, fully insourcing what once was a nearly completely outsourced IT function.
Today GM IT is a dynamic and fast paced organization that designs, develops, and maintains infrastructure, applications and solutions enabling GM’s global operations.
From designing and building the next generation of vehicles to developing a world-class GM experience for our dealers and customers, GM IT is driving real change in the most iconic automaker on the planet.
Our team delivers unique enterprise-wide IT solutions in cutting-edge technologies such as web clients, mobile clients, native clients, mission-critical business systems, supercomputing, cloud, business intelligence, AI/ML, robotics, manufacturing PLC communication, API Development, and Data Modeling/Engineering.
We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to advance their careers and be a part of an IT organization focused on innovation, speed, and business value.
About the Manufacturing IT team at General Motors
Manufacturing IT is responsible for leading a dynamic and fast paced organization to provide systems solutions to support and optimize how we manufacture our vehicles.
From designing and building the next generation of systems to refining current systems, our team focuses on delivering sustainable, resilient, scalable, and intuitive systems.
Our team delivers world-class solutions to optimize manufacturing processes and introduce new system solutions and platforms to expand upon.
We are driving real change in an iconic automaker that’s highly invested in build a new future.
About the Software Data Architect Role
As a Data Architect, you will be responsible for leading and delivering innovative software solutions that are well-designed, scalable, and provide high-quality data architecture solutions.
You will ensure that software is designed and developed using sound, repeatable and industry standard methodologies, including but not limited to standards in code quality, performance, stability, security, and overall alignment and compliance with project objectives.
This role is expected to be proficient in:
- Technologies across software, test automation, build, deployment, and operational processes.
- Taking strategic ambiguities and turning them into actionable plans that the teams can execute to.
- Critical thinking and possesses courage to take calculated risks and define create solutions for opportunities that arise.
- Injecting new technologies and methodologies, looking ahead and build future-proof solutions and systems.
- Working across multi-functional teams, be comfortable working in a matrixed organization and aligning diverse stakeholders.
- Define and Drive socialization and outreach efforts to build a culture of innovative & intuitive solutioning.
- Define strategies for the advancement of data rationalization and optimization.
- Define strategy to support the advancement and optimization of operational and historical reporting architecture.
- Define strategies for data intake/extract, transformation, load, and canonical modeling (data structure rationalization).
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related experience.
- 6+ years developing cutting-edge, enterprise applications.
- Experience with stakeholder alignment, communicating, and presenting to leadership.
- Experience with planning, organizing, and leading multiple scrum teams.
- Project management skills and experience.
- Facilitated high level of team engagement across diverse functional areas.
- Demonstrated experience in putting into practice highly purposeful software development methodologies (i.e. Lean Software Engineering, Agile, Scrum, etc).
- Experience in building a culture of automation in testing, CI/CD, and DevOps practices with end-to end application ownership from conceptualization onwards to development, testing, and support.
- Experience in driving large programs/campaigns across multiple stakeholders simultaneously.
- Strategic planning, roadmap creation, and project plans to look ahead and deliver world class software.
- Experience in Security standards.
- Experience in Data Modeling, Canonical Data Structures, and Data Management.
- Experience in Data Extract, Transform, and Load practices.
- Experience in Data Backup and Recovery practices.
- Experience in Data Store Diagnostics and Troubleshooting.
You will need to demonstrate experience and proficiency in any of the following technology platforms/patterns 5+ years of hands on experience:
- SQL Server
- Entity Relationship Diagram Development (ERD)
- Data Governance
- Data Modeling
- Canonical Modeling
- Operational Data Storage and Reporting Architecture
- Historical Data Storage and Reporting Architecture
- Business Intelligence
- Enterprise Data Warehouse
- Data Migration & Conversion
- Database Management Automation
- Data Store Backup & Recovery
- Application Database Optimization
- Database Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
- Education Content Creation (Documentation, user/data flows, etc).
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.