The General Motors Design organization is seeking a Design Lead Technical to lead and mentor a sculpting team in one of our production studios. This is an integral role within Design in the process of taking an initial ideation to the finished product. In this role, you will own the execution of digital models to meet time and quality requirements as advised by Sculpting Leadership. You will facilitate program specific workgroup meetings and contribute to planning and problem solving with design and engineering partners. This role requires wide latitude for independent judgment under minimal direction.
The role is primarily onsite but there is some room for flexibility based on our Work Appropriately model. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed.
If this sounds like you're next step, we'd love to hear from you! The General Motors Design organization is transforming the future of transportation and mobility solutions and there has never been a more exciting time to join us!
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Mentor others in developing Class-A surfaces which meet production and manufacturing processes
- Support Sculpting Leadership with the mentoring of others in efficient methods for developing digital models, integrating new technologies, and creating workflows.
- Support surface releases which meet Design approval, production engineering, and data release requirements
- Comprehend program timelines and all relating digital model quality requirements
- Facilitate design and surface reviews
- Collaborate in the development of property plans for physical and digital models
- Subject matter expert and on-job trainer for surfacing processes, technology, techniques and standards
- Develop and adhere to common GM Global Design processes / best practices
- Attend appropriate program related meetings as defined by Sculpting Group Manager
- Perform accurate assessment of digital surface quality
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledgeable of production/manufacturing process (applicable to surface development) i.e.:
- Die pull, Draft, Graining, Parting Line
- Gap, Flush, Formability requirements
- Vehicle packaging / integration requirements
- Advanced NX/Alias functional expertise in Class-A surface development
- Proficient in the use of current office software (Excel, Power Point, Word, etc.) with strong ability to create presentations/communication documentation
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively and communicate with others
- Insight into future product technology, design process technology and design tools (i.e. NX and Alias)
- Strong ability for estimating timing requirements for model execution
Education and/or Training
- College degree or equivalent industry related experience required
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.