As a Design Release Engineer, you will be responsible for releasing parts and subsystems for production. You will also lead in gathering, negotiating, updating, and documenting requirements for the assigned product and will be the single-point contact between GM and the supplier. As a Design and Release Engineer you will participate in highly complex problems using quantitative and qualitative data to find solutions with a blend of program management and technical leadership. You will lead and develop strategic solutions to achieve business initiatives for safety, warranty cost and quality.
This position is specific to Chassis Electronics within VMEC. VMEC, Vehicle Motion Embedded Controls, is a production level group that supports the definition, design, development of continuously improving software for control strategies, diagnostics, and controller communication. This means that you can potentially put a fingerprint on the vehicles that drive down the road! This space is ripe with technical leadership opportunities for advanced technology development as well as the ability to provide mentorship for new employees. This is a position where you can flex your teamwork muscles as you will be tasked with working with several other areas of engineering and the business. You will be a member of a product development team that is focused on the delivery of a brake, steering, suspension, or driveline electronic control module or sensor for deployment to one or more of GM’s future electric and/or ICE based vehicle platforms.
Role and Responsibilities
- Own and release responsibility for a fully integrated hardware and software chassis embedded control system that is on-time and with high quality
- Collaborate in a Scaled Agile product delivery team, comprised of cross-functional company peers and component supplier engineers to continuously prioritize, refine, and deploy component and system features
- Lead controller change negotiations with suppliers and internal key stakeholders and update and release requirement documents
- Organize and provide all documents for sourcing and provide technical expertise during purchasing process
- Leads and facilitates embedded controls module Product Development Team (PDT) meetings
- Responsible for all Electrical and Mechanical interfaces that are defined and documented including packaging of components
- Coordinate requirements and design reviews with suppliers, algorithm, and software groups e.g. DFMEA, DRBFM, Peer Reviews
- Ensures hardware prototypes are validated and available for key pre-production vehicle build milestones
- Assure that production released parts meet PPAP and supplier manufacturing is ready to start volume production at product launch
- Responsible for reducing controller warranty to meet quality target
- Bachelor of Science degree in one of the following: Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Chemical Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics
- 2+ years of embedded controls experience
- Basic understanding of software verification/validation processes
- Understanding of engineering theory and principles of operation of mechanical/electrical mechanisms
- High level of analytical ability where problems are complex and difficult to solve
- Demonstrated proficiency in project management skills
- Effective interpersonal skills that focus and influence others, including those which may have priority differences with yours
- This position requires you to be able to legally operate a motor vehicle
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Master's degree in one of the following: Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Chemical Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics
- 5 to 10 years of DRE experience
- Experience in the GM component specification and release process
- Knowledge of vehicle dynamics and electronic chassis systems
- Basic understanding of vehicle serial data communications (e.g. CAN, GMLAN, & LIN)
- Knowledge of OBD-II diagnostics
- Knowledge of automotive safety integrity levels (ASIL)
- DFSS Black Belt certification.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.