We are looking for a hard-working Battery / RESS (Rechargeable Energy Storage System) Test Script Development Engineer, who will developing component and subsystem level tests in our world class testing and development facility. Tasks also include test scripting, data analysis, and finding opportunities for data reduction. This is an assignment where creativity, initiative and independent judgment are involved, and effective cross-organizational teamwork is crucial!
Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as appropriate.
- Develop and execute first-time capable tests for calibration and hardware development
- Understanding and occasional execution of tests, along with support for test setup and debugging
- Track and report on testing progress and issues
- Lead diagnosis and resolution of issues that occur during setup and testing
- Actively participate in Product Development Teams and work with Technical Experts to improve current tests and develop new tests.
- Apply and create post processing tools to assure data quality and track usefulness of data in generation of final calibration or reports
- Develop and implement standard work processes and procedures globally
- Interact with facilities, technical leads, calibration teams, hardware release engineers, and others to improve process and test efficiency
- Support math-based activities, migrating additional work from Road and Lab to Math based models and data analysis
- Train, Mentor, and develop new engineers
Required Skills and Experience
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science, or Physics
- Intermediate to expert level skills with Java, Python, C++, or other programming language
- Minimum 2 years of experience with high voltage systems, or electrical propulsion systems
- Demonstrated Drive for Results
- Excellent Planning and Problem-Solving skills
- Excellent collaboration skills to work independently and effectively with others, with the ability to establish Peer Relationships. High level of oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize work and resource, and work independently with minimal direction
- Proficient with computer and data acquisition systems
- Experience in data analysis to optimize testing or model results
- Ability to travel as required for offsite testing (less than 15%)
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience with National Instrument LabView, A&D systems, ETAS INCA software
- Exposure to propulsion system calibration in test and vehicle environment
- Knowledge and 2 years of experience with Battery / RESS testing, calibration, or hardware development
- Sound understanding of Battery / RESS functionality
FOR GM INTERNAL CANDIDATES: This role is posted at both the 6th and 7th level. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidate’s relevant experience and whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.