Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
The Senior Business Analyst accountable for building and maintaining the relationship with the end user (i.e. Business Team/Customer) for small to medium scale projects. They are responsible for eliciting requirements / user stories and representing them to the Enterprise Solutions Delivery and Enterprise Sustain Services teams throughout the systems development cycle. Will lead requirements elicitation and documentation for one or more medium to large projects with increased complexity.
MAJOR DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Project coordination & execution role for Plan and Define as part of the System Development process
2. Development of business process models, business requirements/user stories (functional and non-functional) and product backlogs
3. Partners with business to ensure comprehensive user acceptance testing/training plans are developed/executed and application is successfully transitioned to production
4. Increased understanding of business issues and data challenges of the business
5. Serves as the requirements liaison between the business community and the IT teams
6. Coordinates with Business on Problem and Incident Management
7. Coordinates project business value/return on investment analysis
8. Supports IT Strategy Development
9. Identifies business strengths and weaknesses and suggests areas of improvement
10. Makes recommendations on what projects should be pursued
11. Perform research on new ideas / initiatives the organization may want to pursue
12. Assists with coordination & representation for Change Requests (CRs)
13. Assists with identifying/selecting the best talent. Responsible for directing and prioritizing work, managing performance, and providing guidance / coaching to team members. Manages the culture within their team, holds themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors. Models GM behaviors and creates a winning culture.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. In-depth understanding of business analyst fundamentals
2. In-depth understanding of writing & leading Business Requirements Documents
3. In-depth understanding of Business Process Modeling
4. Knowledge in a functional area or business process domain
5. In-depth understanding of business issues and data challenges of the organization and industry as a whole
6. In-depth understanding of business process and how application(s) they represent support it
7. Demonstrates critical skills such as collaboration, strong written and verbal communication skills and analytical capability
8. Independently facilitates sessions with end users, asking probing questions to elicit business process discussion and capture process flow diagrams
9. Independently facilitates meetings.
a) In-depth business knowledge
b) Action oriented
c) Raises issues appropriately
d) Presents information for decision-making purposes with little to no direction
e) Increased technical & business insight for planning
f) Strong time management skills
g) Ability to multi-task i.e. leading multiple projects
About the GM Global Manufacturing IT team:
GM Global Manufacturing transforms new automotive product designs into reality and is comprised of approximately 94,000 employees at over 118 sites across 13 countries.
GM Global Manufacturing is a key element in the transformation toward Electric Vehicles in General Motors and works throughout the Vehicle and Propulsion Development Process culminating in the launch of exciting new products in our manufacturing plants.
The GM Manufacturing Information Technology (IT) team plays a vital role in creating and implementing IT solutions which enable the manufacturing of Vehicles and Propulsion Systems using the digital manufacturing process and system design integrating seamlessly with production critical Manufacturing Executions Systems.
GM Global Manufacturing enabled by GM Manufacturing IT is on the journey toward Manufacturing 5.0 with integrated manufacturing concepts leveraging the highest levels of automation and in-process quality assurance.
Manufacturing IT collaborates closely with our business partners to develop the information system strategies and systems to translate breakthrough technologies into vehicles and experiences that people love.
About the role
Manufacturing Device Level Analytics is revolutionizing plant floor management at General Motors by translating billions of data points from thousands of manufacturing plant floor devices into actionable insights that help optimize throughput, avoid downtime, reduce operational costs, and improve quality.
This Manufacturing IT Device Level Analytics Business Analyst will work with our business partners to develop, implement, and manage software which leverages big data and analytics to to detect anomalies and identify improvement opportunities associated with manufacturing plant floor equipment globally.
The role requires a strong ability to translate the business needs and strategy into deliverable IT capabilities. The Manufacturing IT Device Level Analytics Business Analyst works closely with users across Global Manufacturing to identify areas where IT functionality, big data, and analytics can be leveraged to optimize throughput, avoid downtime, reduce operational costs, and improve quality.
The role requires a high-level of customer focus and business knowledge in manufacturing and plant floor management, manufacturing applications, and controls, to ensure the appropriate business needs are clearly defined, communicated, and delivered at or above expectations.
Strong oral and written communication skills are required, with proven ability to communicate and build relationships cross-functionally.
The role may require some limited global travel.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as the business analyst for Device Level Analytics IT tools. Manage the product feature backlog in collaboration with the GM IT Development team and support the agile development of deliverables.
- Conduct effective project updates for executives and user groups in a timely manner.
- Develop IT Portfolio project proposals including comprehensive cost and benefit analysis and develop, collaborate, and communicate IT Strategies, Plans, and Roadmaps.
- Proactively develop and maintain technical knowledge in specialized area(s), remaining up to date on current industry trends and best practices. Leverage expertise to produce solutions that enable consistency and standardization and facilitate exceptional performance.
- Strive to engage in emerging technology assessments assessing value opportunities for the Manufacturing business.
- Follow GM standard software development and deployment processes in functional specifications, user interface and database designs, testing methodology, training, and change management.
- Experience in large scale enterprise-wide IT system development & implementations
- Experience in product management including eliciting, writing, and managing product features, user requirements and user stories along with detailed acceptance criteria and test cases
- Experience in big data and analytics, including data collection, modeling, integration, and visualization
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline, preferably in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Business Administration, Engineering, or equivalent experience are required.
- 7+ years of business analysis within information technology or related experience in Manufacturing
- Strong English oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to organize, prioritize work, meet deadlines, and work within a team and individual setting
- Willingness to work and learn in a manufacturing environment, including understanding manufacturing business metrics, performance metrics, throughput improvement opportunities. Potentially job-shadow manufacturing team members and group leaders to gain greater understanding of the roles and responsibilities on the manufacturing plant floor.
Preferred Skill Set / Experience
- Experience in manufacturing operations asset management
- Experience in manufacturing maintenance operations
- Experience with GM manufacturing systems, such as GPM&C, PT PM&C, and BIT
- Experience with GM manufacturing controls, including GCCS, GCCH, and GCCL
- Certification in SAFe
- Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) or Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Experience with Agile, Scrum, Iterative, and/or Waterfall development and project methodologies
- Experience with Azure Dev/Ops or TFS requirement management system.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.