Hybrid Position: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-3 times per week .
The Electromagnetic Simulation (CAE) Engineer will be responsible for developing and implementing electromagnetic simulation for various high voltage components like Battery Pack, Motor, Invertor, Busbars, BDU, Filters and Contactors.
They will be responsible for developing new analysis capabilities in the space of Electromagnetic Interference (EMI), Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC), Impedance Simulation and Antenna gain.
This person will interpret and present results to decision makers at key program gates for GM Global Vehicle Development Program. Analyst will be required to interact closely with team members and work cross functionally to deliver standard work, root cause analysis, compare analytical results to tests, develop new analysis capabilities, and identify analytical gaps.
- Develop models for electromagnetic interference, impedance estimation, and wireless communication using tools like Ansys HFSS, Q3D, Maxwell and JMAG
- Develop 1D Electromagnetic system models using tools like Ansys Simplorer, Saber, Matlab and Simulink
- Perform Electromagnetic analysis to deliver design solutions which are robust and reliable, applying optimization and statistical methods when appropriate
- Work collaboratively with Propulsion/ Battery System integration engineers, Electrical Architects, and component hardware design teams to ensure system requirements are met, design concepts are evaluated, and development and validation plans are successful
- Collaborate with other CAE teams to integrate higher fidelity Electromagnetic models with thermal and dynamics models
- Ensure on time delivery of high-quality results
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 2 years of experience working on Electromagnetic Simulation
- Experience in EMI and EMC analysis using tools like HFSS, Q3D, JMAG and Maxwell
- Experience in 1D Electrical Analysis tools like Simplorer, Saber, PSPICE, Matlab and Simulink
- Engineering experience in design, analysis or testing of electrical components
- Understanding and application of engineering theory and principles of operation for electrical mechanisms and rotating machinery
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with development and usage of CAE/CAD tools
- Experience with semiconductor devices like IGBT, MOSFET and Diode and modeling
- Experience in CAE analysis of electrified vehicles (BEV, EREV, PHEV, HEV, BAS)
- Strong debugging and troubleshooting skills
- Good understanding of statistical methods for design and testing
- Good understanding of Electromagnetics field theory
- Good understanding of electrical systems, controls and component development / validation
- Experience in applying Artificial Intelligence (AI)/Machine Learning (ML) methods
BS, MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering required
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.