Remote Role : This position does not require employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. This employee's role enables them to work off-site on a permanent basis.
Embedded Software Tool Development Engineers are responsible for creating and deploying software development and testing environments that enable users to build, test and automate production software for General Motors vehicle applications. Tooling solutions are created using an agile software development process that focuses on speed and innovation and are deployed to a global user community.
Embedded Software Tool Development Engineers are responsible for implementing automation processes, such as Continuous Integration-Continuous Deployment (CI-CD) and auto code generation. This is an exciting position which performs a variety of assignments including implementation of pipelines, developing code generation scripts and customizing IDE plug-ins. Embedded Software Tool Development Engineers use SAFe principles to collaborate cross-functionally with vehicle application teams, automated driving, IT and others. Working together, they develop and test bleeding edge features for apps like Jenkins, Jira, Gerrit and Eclipse using Python, Java and Groovy languages, among others. The Embedded Software Tool Development Engineer’s work can be done remotely.
- Design and maintain tooling used in the GM application platforms
- Production software build environment tools
- Configuration management tooling for large scale deployments
- Software unit, behavioral and structural testing tools
- Deploy tools that support the global engineering community
- Provide, communicate and support common best tooling practices among the software community
- Engage with IT to ensure solutions are robust and meet standards
- Provide support to users in the engineering community (troubleshoot tooling issues, coach & mentor users, etc.)
- Perform complex design analysis
- Participate in the established forums for tool development using Agile software methodologies
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Math, Physics, or Computer Science
- 2+ years of related experience
- Knowledgeable of open source tooling (Git, Gerrit, Jenkins, OpenGrok, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability working with high level languages (e.g. C, C++, python, Java, etc.)
- Knowledgeable about code-based test tools and processes
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others
- Track record of "getting things done" by managing and leading multiple projects and assignments with a high level of autonomy and accountability for results
- Good business sense, ability to communicate, and a desire to understand customer needs
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, high-change environment with an initiative demonstrated by reaching beyond assigned work to improve output
- Master’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science
- 5+ years of related experience
- Industry experience with Embedded Controls and Embedded Controls Software
- Practiced with the use of Agile software development methods and processes
- Experience with automated software build processes
- Tooling experience
Compensation: Please note that the compensation information that follows is a good faith estimate for this position only and is provided pursuant to the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act and Equal Pay Transparency Rules. It is estimated based on what a successful Colorado applicant might be paid. Similar positions located outside of Colorado will not necessarily receive the same compensation. Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The median level of salary compensation for this role is $126,751.
Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.