GM's Design Fabrication Engineering Team is looking for a highly motivated Engineering Designer responsible for the development of math design solutions to meet complex system and subsystem requirements. This position requires a high degree of creativity and initiative in problem solving and leading multi-functional teams for issue resolution. You will perform as a specialist in SMT Design and Engineering Best Practices, and be highly skilled in GM CAD and Data Management System, Windows Suite, and VisMockup. You will exercise highly independent judgment and creative solution development with minimal direction from the Design Leader Technical. You should be proficient in CAD Tools and own the development of Standard Model Methods in their component / subsystem area. We need a teammate who is dedicated to a philosophy of designing to simplify assembly and to reduce material costs. If this sounds like you, we'd love to hear from you!
- Develop and understand all aspects of virtual vehicle integration solutions to support program requirements
- Possess broad technical knowledge, training and understanding combined with creative and independent thinking and conceptual ability within the virtual vehicle integration through multiple cycles of the Global Vehicle Development Process
- Lead the development of Standard Modeling Methods for virtual processes
- Assist in training team members as necessary to improve skillset of the group
- Work directly with Project Lead to understand project requirements
- Attend and participate in Build Meetings
- Maintain awareness of quality standards, communicate department quality goals and use resources to tackle quality problems
- Drive first time quality in the design of models
- Build and maintain good working relationships with Shop, Project Management, and Studio Personnel
- Communicate between shifts, and other departments to implement standard methodologies, resolve problems and sustain consistent performance to objectives
- Create designs that control costs and achieve productivity improvements
- Ability to tackle difficult design problems
- Willingness to innovate and take measured risks
- Accept and follow verbal design direction when vital
- Interpret and analyze work orders, drawings, and parts list
- Supervise quality control and build schedule
- Basic understanding of GMS System
- Meet all timing, quality and cost requirements
- Must be trainable and open to new concepts and ideas.
- Three years’ experience using Siemens NX (Unigraphics)
- Knowledge of specialty/concept vehicle build and fabrication practices
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Tools
- Proficiency using and navigating TeamCenter
- Proficiency using TcVIS
- Knowledge of GM Pre-Production and GVDP
- Demonstrate high level of interpersonal skills to effectively connect with others in face to face and group situations.
- Well-developed oral and written presentation skills with the ability to work optimally with all levels of the organization
- Analytical ability to tackle complex problems
- Knowledge of fabrication processes, including equipment and materials.
- Previous fabrication experience
- Bachelor's Degree required with relevant professional experience
- Knowledge of additional CAD systems
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.